Thread: Help with magnetic starter

Help with magnetic starter

Got the Powermatic 66, (serial # 9366082, can someone give me an idea of when it was made) got it home and back together. Rigged up an old dryer cord to the power cable and plugged it into the dryer plug. Nothin'. It would buzz when I pressed the start button but the motor didn't start. I tested it before I bought it and everything was working.

Anyway, I tested the outlet, had 250 volts or so. Finally I opened the box where the buttons are located and it look like the inside of a computer. After playin' with it I pushed in the bar that actuates the relay and the motor started up and the relay stayed latched. When I pushed the stop button it stopped.

The are a couple of button on the other part, one red and one blue (says reset. Tried pushing those and nothin' happened.

This thing is a Telemecanique Encosed A.C. Magnetic D-Line Starter according to the parts list stuffed in the box. The saw hasn't been used much (30 hours or so according to synical wife). The saw has a Baldor 3 hp single phase motor. Everything inside the box is pristine.

I have the parts list and schematic but no operating instruction. Can someone help me out?

Are you sure you have the serial number right? I think its missing a digit. Looks to be a 1993 model, if so.

Anyway, here is all the info you should need in wiring your switch.

http://wiki.owwm.com/Motor%20Starter...0Diagrams.ashx

Stan, are you sure you wired your new old cord to the saw correctly? If it worked before, and thats all that has changed, it's very likely that you have a wire turned around. What you describe could very well be a coil issue, but probably not if it worked before. Double check your wiring.

You said you connected it to a dryer circuit, is this a 3 wire receptacle & did you accidently connect to 1 line and the neutral* instead of both lines, if that is the case your only getting 120 volts and I am assuming (this is dangerous when one assumes) the coil in the starter is 240V. when the coil is at half voltage, it's not going to operate. Check the control wiring carefully if the above is not the case.

OT item.
    * a 3 wire dryer or range circuit is line, line and neutral, not a grounding conductor as dryers & ranges use 120 volt components, and it was formerly allowed to ground the frame of those appliances to the neutral.