Thread: mountain laurel burl

mountain laurel burl

i got a small stash of mountain laruel burl and will be getting more of it this summer. but i dont know what to do with it. the color os cool, its clay red. really tiny piny burl. about golf ball to base ball size. what whould i do with it?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Where did you get it, I thought it was illegal to cut in PA, maybe i'm thinking of something else, It is hazardous to burn though, gives off cyanide IIRC, so if you don't turn it don't burn it!

bottle stoppers?
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Send some to me, I'll figure it out for you.
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.

Don't eat the leaves they are poisonous I would be scared to turn it also.

Send some to me, I'll figure it out for you.
    I am with you David. send it on down. yeehar!
    neil

The wooden Potter

Old timers made tobacco pipes

Curtis, I was just reading and article about mountain laurel and it does have some bad things about it as have already been said. Back before the 1960's the root burls were used to make "Briarwood" pipes. The burls are much heavier and dense compared to the trunk wood. You might want to see if you can get some of the roots from your secret supplier! But just like all woods saftey first.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Andrew, it is illegal if cut down when its alive. but i got them after they were dead. up at the place i go for summercamp they just cleared a large area due to gypsy moth damage, and the dozer they used tore up a lot of mountain laurel. so now it is dead
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Exclamation Don't eat it

Well darn: http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/po...ts/ppmount.htm Like Gilda said, "It's always something."

Art

P.S., I had some of the little "nuts" that sometimes are found inside maple burls--made beautiful bottle stoppers. Gave them away before I got them photographed.

I've turned Mtn. Laurel wood with no hazardous effects-that I know of. From the link it seems the leaves are the problem. Hard and dense wood.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Curtis you should give some to me for proper disposal of this harmful wood.