Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Wacom Intuos4 is coming :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    And the bonus? Wacom lists the 8x13 model for $369 on their site in what is sure to be yet another pricing mistake. I placed an order for it in the hopes I get one, but I'm willing to bet the order will be canceled within the next day or two.
    Price on the site has already been changed, let us know if they actually honor your $369 price???
    George

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Brown View Post
    Price on the site has already been changed, let us know if they actually honor your $369 price???
    I noticed earlier this morning they had also raised the price of the medium one from $349 to $369, same as the large's incorrect price. Me thinks someone fat-fingered the keyboard when typing those in.

I have my fingers crossed the honor it, but if they don't no harm, no foul. I've read that with mistakes like that they offer a 10% off coupon to those who had their orders canceled. Not as big a savings, but may still make it worth purchasing the large.

The upgrade from Intuos3 to Intuos4 is relatively minor (2048 pressure levels compared to 1024 on the Intuos3, higher tip sensitivity at lower pressure levels, etc.), so I wouldn't suggest anyone needs to "upgrade" their Intuos3... but it feels good to pick up the latest model of anything when you start from nothing.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Man, this thing didn't exist in the public eye two weeks ago, now we have pricing, PC Magazine has done a review ( http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2343760,00.asp )... I hope Corel cranks out X5 as quickly!

I just bought the Intuos3 6 x 8-Inch for $256.00 plus a $30.00 rebate the end of Feb. Nice to have the newest...but $226.00 for one step back isn't all bad. AND the thing is great!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    It's fine so far, but how do you blow up and reduce the page view with it?
    On my mouse, I use the wheel. This one has 2 buttons, but they are for scrolling and other commands. It also has a wireless mouse, so for page view, I've had to resort to the mouse...
    This is the same frustration I have with my small 4x5 Wacom. I use the scroll wheel to zoom in/out extensively in many programs. The tablet has a wheel, so I have to remember to raise the pen up out of range and then reach up to the wheel to zoom in/out. This slows me down quite a bit compared to using the wheel mouse. I have even got myself into a habit of zooming out, moving the pointer a smidge and then zooming back in just because it's faster then moving the pointer to a scroll bar and scrolling the image to where I need it.

I like using my pen, but if I have to do a lot of zooming or moving about on the screen, I put the pen up and use the mouse.

Blog Entries
    With the Intuos4, there is a scroll "circle" (similar to what's on the front of an iPod). That circle, as well as 8 buttons with OLED displays (6 buttons and no displays on the smallest unit), can be programmed for most functions... I'll probably have the circle be a zoom key as I'm constantly zooming in/out to touch portions of an image.

On a side note, I may have gotten lucky with my order. I received an email from UPS saying the electronic shipping order was received (though not the actual tablet yet), so that's a start. Someone posted online they called Wacom and it was confirmed... anyone who placed an order before they fixed the online price will receive their tablet. My fingers are still crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    This is the same frustration I have with my small 4x5 Wacom. I use the scroll wheel to zoom in/out extensively in many programs. The tablet has a wheel, so I have to remember to raise the pen up out of range and then reach up to the wheel to zoom in/out. This slows me down quite a bit compared to using the wheel mouse. I have even got myself into a habit of zooming out, moving the pointer a smidge and then zooming back in just because it's faster then moving the pointer to a scroll bar and scrolling the image to where I need it.

I like using my pen, but if I have to do a lot of zooming or moving about on the screen, I put the pen up and use the mouse.
    I guess I'm stuck with mouse zooming but I'll get used to it. Thanks,everyone!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    With the Intuos4, there is a scroll "circle" (similar to what's on the front of an iPod). That circle, as well as 8 buttons with OLED displays (6 buttons and no displays on the smallest unit), can be programmed for most functions... I'll probably have the circle be a zoom key as I'm constantly zooming in/out to touch portions of an image.
    Is this "circle" on the tablet or on the pen itself? For me, if it's on the tablet, it merely slows me down to have to reach over and use those buttons compared to using the wheel on the mouse. (Same concept that it's faster to use shortcut keys while typing, instead of having to reach over to the mouse/pen to then click on a toolbar button and then place my hand back on the keyboard. .... well... those of us who type fast. )

I still like my wacom and would never give it up, but I wish there was an alternative to using the wheel function on the pen itself.

One other thing I should mention is that for those who have not used the pen tablets, if you have issues with arthritis in your hands and have difficulty holding a pen for very long, you will feel a similar discomfort when using any pen tablet.

Blog Entries
    Mike, the circle is on the tablet itself. When I'm working with tablets, I'm usually holding it in my lap, which means I have both hands on it... while I'm editing with my right, my left is free to change zoom level on the fly (that should REALLY speed things up for me as I don't have to keep leaning forward to the keyboard or mouse anymore).

Very good point about the arthritis! Luckily I'm not there yet, but if my genes are any indication (I got my mother's genes) I'll have an issue at some point.

Forgot to add: UPS shows my package as being shipped What an awesome deal... 8"x13" tablet for $369 shipped. It's about time I had a bit of luck...
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 03-26-2009 at 7:28 AM.

Blog Entries
    UPS claims my new toy was dropped off around noon today I'll have to take pics when I get a chance to play with it.

<ugh> That means I have to clean off my desk and find room...

At my day job, I was just approved to buy a Wacom Cintiq 21ux, the monitor/tablet.
    Kinda funny, because our computers are all bottom-of-the-line. Could it be that I included the words 'repetitive stress injury' on the justification form?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini

Blog Entries
    So let me get this straight... you work in beautiful Hawaii at a job that provides you with Cintiqs. And why hasn't a job offer been extended to me?

i just noticed that costco online has the intous4 for sale looks like its the 6 by 9
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...US&Sp=C&topnav=

good thing about buying at costco is that if you dont like it you can return it pretty much when ever you want
    FRED SANCHEZ
    Universal VLS3.60 , Roland GX24 , CorelDraw X3 , Windows XP

Cool

Ummm, because it requires humiliating yourself and occasionally shining the shoes of Those Greater Than You? Spending each day in a lifeless grey cubicle?

OK, I know. Stopping the complaints now.
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini

Blog Entries
    Pshaw! I got the day-to-day gray cubicle living thing down pat

I've spent some time playing with the pad and I'm very happy with it so far Integrations was seamless, and I can swap between the pen, the tablet's mouse, and my own mouse (an MS Explorer, which makes surfing the net easy). When Vista wakes up from a nap, I normally have to type in my password... the tablet driver popped up a virtual keyboard on the screen so I could type in my password using the pad's mouse or pen.

The display next to each of the 8 programmable keys shows great contrast and legibility, and they look to have a resolution of around 60x30 pixels each (I didn't put it under the scope and count... yet). The background is a perfect black, and the display is bright enough to be seen in a well-lit room while being dim enough to not strain eyes in a darkened room.

As part of the package, I was able to download a number of programs once I registered the tablet with Wacom. You get two Photoshop plug-ins automatically (Nik Color Efex Pro and a series of brushes) and you can select two of three programs (PhotoShop Elements, Corel Painter Sketch Pad, or AutoDesk SketchUp). I haven't installed any of them yet, but I think I'll install Sketch Pad first and let the 6-year old have a go at it (she has become quite the little artist lately).

I didn't exactly clean off space on my desk so much as I just plopped it down on top of everything that was already there. It's a thin 1/2" with a nice contoured front and rear edge that's easy on the arms (necessary for such a large area, probably not as much for the small pads). The pen holder has surprising heft to it and keeps the pen readily at hand without tipping over (like a weeble wobble), and it does double duty as a hidden storage compartment for the multitude of nibs for the pen (felt, soft, hard, and other tps).

Even the packaging was amazingly nice! Any questions?