Thread: selfmade wooden woodworkingmachines

selfmade wooden woodworkingmachines

Hello,

Iīm new here and this is my first post in an american forum. I wanted to show you some of my woodworking projects on youtube. Maybe somebody is interested in it or knows something about similar projects. That would be interesting for me.

The first one is a selfmade wooden "copy-milling machine" (is it the right word?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxAm8BaxBBQ

The second one is my first selfmade machine - a collapsible wooden "long band grinder" (I think itīs not the wright word...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s96gk...e=channel_page

Greetings form Germany!

Guten Abend, John! Welcome to Sawmill Creek.
    Interesting videos. You are very inventive. How long did it take you to put those together, including all the planning?
    Last edited by Brian Effinger; 03-23-2009 at 9:04 PM. Reason: German Spelling - my high school German teacher would be ashamed :)
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Simply amazing!

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Fantastic... if you're not an engineer already... you missed your call. Welcome to SMC after a somewhat eye-catching and mind challening opening act.

Sarge..

Yup - I'll have to second that "engineering" idea. Your not a wood-worker!!

The carving machine is just that. Or a duplicating carver. I'm building one myself,and built the one I sold Colonial Williamsburg. I need to get pictures of it to post. The other machine is a stroke sander.

Very impressive! Makes me feel a little podunk with the jigs and contraptions I have managed to throw together!

selfmade wooden woodworkingmachines *WITH VIDEO*

Hi Brian,

I had some Pictures of duplicating carvers, so I could make a mixture of different types of duplicating carvers. the planning took not so much time. just a few hours of drawing. I donīt know, how long it took to built it, because i worked not every day on it. i started to build it in - i think november and in march it was ready to copy. I had to change the construction sometimes, because the machine was not stable enough and I also had some problems with the counterweight. But now it works very well.

The Stroke Sander I built by myself, because I donīt have enough space in my workshop for a normal Stroke Sander. I had to construct one, that I can decompose. It takes about 20 minutes to assemble or decompose it. When it is decomposed, it needs just about one mē (except the sliding table). I donīt know, how long it took to build it. Itīs not the best construction, but it works.

Hello George Wilson,

thanks for the correct words! I would be very interested in Your selfbuilt duplicating carvers. Would be nice, if You could show some pictures or a video.

Sorry for my bad English!

Greetings from Germany.

Those are pretty slick. Are you by chance a mechanical engineer?

Blog Entries
    As other have said those are very interesting machines. One thing I noted was that your belt sanding machine was sanding wood across the grain on the smaller board instead of with the grain. I don't know if you know this but you'll get a much better finish sanding with the grain.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

John - Very cool. A comment about the duplicating machine, though - I'd suggest buying and using wooden clamps to hold your workpiece down to the platen of the machine. Accidentally hitting one of the metal jaws of those clamps with a high-speed carving burr would not be pleasant, and might even be dangerous.

And, by the way, in English, "decompose" means "to rot", much as logs rots on the forest floor. I think you mean "disassemble" which means to "take apart", such as dissasembling a bed to move it to another house.

I wouldn't apologize for you're English - it's a heck of a lot better than my German!

Hi Ron!

No, no! Iīm just a Joiner. But I like mechnical things.

Hi Lee!

sure, I know, only sanding with the grain makes a good finish, but I donīt know if you know that sanding against the grain is much faster than sanding with the grain. Usualy Iīm graining alternately against the grain and with the grain, when I use 60, 80, 120 sandpapers. And than I use 180s- and 240s-papers only with the grain of the wood. Than you ultimately donīt see any scratches in the wood.

Hi David!

thanks for the correction!
    In this case I also have to correct: It doesnīt take about 20 minutes to decompose the machine. Itīs made of fir and beech, so I think it takes about 5 or 6 years to decompose it. But this belongs to the location.

Sure - I mean "disassemble".

Greetings from Bavaria!

Cool clips, as for the Belt sander, My dad made one realy similar about 25 years ago, I will try to get some pictures!
    David

John you have a special talent. Thanks for sharing the vids with us.

Your English is far better than my German so don't feel bad.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Hi David Gendron,

would be very nice, if you could show some pictures of your dadys machnie! Iīm always interested in similar things.

greetings to all!