Thread: Folding Camp Wash Stand Ideas

Folding Camp Wash Stand Ideas

My wife and I do some period re-enactment camping. While this folding wash stand is not the period we play in, it's certainly better than using a bench for washing dishes. But I'd rather make one to our dimensions than pay 1250 Pounds Sterling for this one!

LOML wants me to make something that works like this would, but it doesn't have to look just like it.

I'd like to stay away from plywood (as would she), but just about any solid wood (hard or soft) will do, I think. We'll be putting three small (plastic, alas) washing tubs on top (for wash, rinse, and bleach contact), with a good bit of water, and ceramic dishes, so the top will have to be strong.

We'll use the bottom shelf for drying, so it won't have the water weight on it.

How would you dimension the shelves? I'm thinking of making the top shelf just a shelf, with no cutouts. That should help with strength.

Then what about the legs? I'd like it to be sturdy enough to do the job, but not any heavier than it needs to be.

Then lastly, how about a finish? This will be spending some time out doors, but only about 20 days a year. If it lasts ten years, that's adequate.

Mortice and tenon joinery?

I have a jointer, planer, table saw, band saw, along with a jig saw, drill, quarter-sheet sander, and #4 and #5 planes I'm itching to work with too.

It looks like there are four small hinges. Does that seem right?

What are the bars on the bottoms of the shelves for?

She wants this in early May. I could be in trouble...

What else should I consider?

Thanks for any tips,
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Schumann; 03-24-2009 at 9:41 AM.

I'm trying to post a picture to the forum instead of linking. Let's see how this goes... seemed to work.

Here's the page the image is from:
    http://www.antiques-in-england.com/d...p?StockNo=6172
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris,

The first thing I would suggest is that you make a mock-up out of scrap. A while ago, I made a folding chair from a picture and I found the mock-up invaluable to get the dimensions and the exact mechanism worked out. It may seem like you don't have time to do this, but I suspect it will actually save you time (and money and aggravation) in the end.

I suspect that the bars on the shelves are there for additional strength and to help guard against cupping or warping.

I would definitely use mortise and tenon joinery as no other kinds of joints will provide the same kind of strength and longevity. I would also consider drawboring the joints.

The cutout on the shelf is nice assuming you match it with a basin. This keeps the basin in place. Of course a solid shelf works too.

The legs can, and should be fairly small and even delicate. These pieces weren't made to take lots of abuse, but absent said abuse, would last for generations. Don't defeat the purpose and utility of a folding shelf by making it heavy and unwieldy.

As for finish, I'd use BLO or Tung oil followed with lacquer.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Thanks, Don, but making one out of scrap is really not an option right now. I don't have enough scrap, and I bought cheap lumber as it is because money is rather tight.

As for durability, this is campaign furniture. I'd guess it was designed to be in an officer's tent, but definitely made to move a lot more than something in a home.

In any case, I bought 4/4 hackberry, around 6" wide (only $2.10/bdft locally). I have already made the two shelves, and made my first jig: a panel cutting sled, so I could make the shelves the same size and very true. They are 40" by 15-1/4".

The next bit is to decide how to attach the shelves to the back. I have two folding shelves at home, but those sides fold in and have a non-folding part that the shelves are pinned to. But I want the sides on this to fold around the back, like the extant piece, so I was thinking a couple of hinges might to the job. While not very strong, the sides look to have supports along the entire depth for support.

Any ideas on how you might attach the shelf to the back are appreciated.