Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical wiring in a woodworking project

Lightbulb Electrical wiring in a woodworking project

I have a small brainstorming project for the experience woodworking and electrical gurus out there. I have just been asked to build an entertainment center with a feature, that ironically, I have been trying to figure out how to accomplish for the same purpose on a completely different project for quite some time now.

The original project is a charging center for cell phones, iPods, and the like. I would like to incorporate a power strip where each outlet can be turned on and off individually. I have been asked to incorporate a similar feature into an entertainment center, such that the components can be turned off individually at the power strip. (the premise is to disconnect the 'vampire' electronics from the wall and save some precious $$$ on the electric bill).

The simple solution: Has anyone seen a power strip like this?

The more difficult solution: How would you incorporate a series of lighted rocker switches and single outlets into a woodworking project like this? (ie., what materials and hardware would you use) In the charging center, the switches would need to be accessible from the front with the outlets inside facing upwards, or the switches could be on top with the outlets facing forward. The entertainment center would have the switches on the front and the outlets in the rear.

What NEC-type installation requirements would this 'power strip' have to meet?

I can wait to see what you guys come up with.

First off, How's my home town doing back in NH? No snow here!
    I know what you’re saying. One of my projects on “the list” is a docking station for PDA, cell and Ipod.
    When I decide to tackle this, I will be looking into the “smart” outlets. This is just a quick thought, but the link below is to a site that sells green items, one of which is the smart power strip. If you could design it into your project, it might be what you’re looking for. Hit the web and try searching different sites for green power strips, woodworking electrical , etc… These “smart” strips turn off the outlet automatically when it senses the device is not drawing power and turns back on when the device is calling for power. Pretty neat!
    Good luck and let us know what you end up using in your project.
    E-
    http://www.greenandmore.com/smart-st...ry&itemId=1020

Clap on, clap off?

On a more serious note... I do understand the concept for wall warts in a charging station, but I'd worry about it a bit for a home theater/entertainment unit. For example, if I disconnect my CATV box for more than a day, I think I need to call them to hit it with a special code over the cable before it will wake up again. Similarly, with my plasma, cutting the power means it takes it out of standby mode, and I'm not sure if my remote will then power it on--think I might have to hit a switch. Not insurmountable, but might not be ideal for an entertainment set up.

In any event, what about this: http://www.a-neutronics.com/shop/pro...FQG7GgodukPV6A

Anthony,

I have planned to same thing except I was going to use a regular old run of the mill power strip and a simple light switch to turn it off and on. Your thoughts are fancier than I had envisioned but I could see myself doing stuff like that as well.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

It depends a little on how much procurement work you want to put in.

If you buy your parts from Home Depot, you could make this with standard wall outlets and standard wall switches. Outlets can be split -- that is, there is an electrical link between the two outlets to separate them into two individual ones. And there are switches which put two separate switches in the space usually used by one wall switch.

If you want to make the unit more compact, look to electronics-supply places like www.digikey.com. There, you can buy individual outlets like the ones you find on the back of some entertainment electronics, and switches which are considerably smaller than wall switches.

NEC only regulates stuff inside a home's walls. To sell a commercial product like this, UL listing is what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Anthony,

I have planned to same thing except I was going to use a regular old run of the mill power strip and a simple light switch to turn it off and on. Your thoughts are fancier than I had envisioned but I could see myself doing stuff like that as well.
    I measured and found that my entertainment center uses about 50 Watts with everything turned off. I use a simple power strip with a switch and keep it off when not in use. The slight inconvenience and increased awareness also keeps us from watching too much TV.

There is a hiccup though. The TV wants to start reprogramming itself when you turn it on. But, if you turn it off again and then back on, it goes back to it's old programming. So it's a simple fix.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

If you search rocker switch at digikey or similar, you can find them for a few bucks. Get whatever outlets suit your application, but I'd use duplex outlets (regular wall outlets) with the tab that joins the two outlets removed so that you can control them individually. Common outlets means it's easier to find mounting options. As far as the wiring itself goes, it's pretty straight forward, with a common hot from the wall outlet feeding the switches / breakers (whichever you use) then running to the outlets. I'd use three terminal boards to keep thehot, neutral and ground connections separate, and also to transition from solid copper to stranded. I like solid copper for outlets, but stranded anywhere that I make a crimped connection, like using terminal lugs to connect to a press-fit rocker switch or custom plug. I'd buy a 20A extension cord, and cut off the female end of it for powering your center. One less connection to worry about. PM me if you like with questions on how to accomplish specifics. Electricity I know, woodworking I'm chipping away at.

Craig, Ditto on that. Electronics I know, woodworking is a project in progress.

The problem I'm having with buying the pieces is making the enclosure and making it look nice. I have two possible designs for the charging center, one with switches in the top behind the devices, and one with the switches in the front below the devices. Either way I will need a mounting plate for the switches, an enclosure to contain the 110V connections and outlets, plus face plates for the duplex outlets. That's a lot of stuff I'd rather not build. Unless someone has a crafty way to do it quick and simple. (hint, hint)

So far I have found this for the charging center.

http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-ch...7922202&sr=1-3

But I can't find a better photo or description that says how the outlets are oriented.

I found this one for use in the entertainment center.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=914023

I was actually thinking of trying to find a power strip in a metal case where I could disassemble it. The cut into the side to mount the switches and rewire the outlets.

I have had two of the individually-switched power strips for something like 20 years. Don't remember exactly, but they may have come from a Laboratory Supply house like Cole-Parmer, or possibly McMaster-Carr. One is a brushed aluminum finish, the other walnut-colored vinyl skin. I'm sure Google would turn some up.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    So far I have found this for the charging center.

http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-ch...7922202&sr=1-3

But I can't find a better photo or description that says how the outlets are oriented.
    They also seem to have the same thing in an 8 plug version. Seems like these would be easy to integrate into a design. I'm intrigued.

Even if the orientation of the plug is wrong, might it be easier to just make a little 6" electrical cord jumper? Or buy a five pack of these: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Strip-Li...u-wl_mrai-recs
    Last edited by Eric DeSilva; 03-24-2009 at 4:17 PM. Reason: Added strip liberator link

Quote Originally Posted by anthony whitesell View Post
    i found this one for use in the entertainment center.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?edpno=914023
    "This item is currently unavailable"

Bummer...looks like the ticket and one you can take apart likely.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The transformers used for charging cell phones, PDAs, cameras and stuff use very little AC current even when actively charging the battery ,less than 5 watts. Once the battery is charged, or disconnected, they draw much power, more like 10th of a watt for transformed designs, and almost nothing for the newer switched designs.

Even over a full year the total power consumed by these devices, when not actively charging a battery, is so minimal, the energy cost would only add up to pennies.

Unless the entertainment center is builtin, I'd say that the the NEC does not apply because it's not dwelling wiring - it's a "cord and plug" attached appliance.

I'd be concerned about making something because of the liability. Installing one of those power strips with the switches sounds like the ticket to me.

I don't think I'd have to take the Ultra power strip apart just change the design aspects that conceals it.

I was reading the reviews down the page and one review states "The only recommendation is I wish the plug-ins for each switch were located on the back like the 8 channel instead of below." So looking at the picture, with the switches in the front, the plugs are on the bottom pointed downwards. Seems a little strange to me, but someone designed it that way for some reason. I have have another item to purchase from Amazon (through SMC of course), I may pick one up to check it out. For 15 bucks and free shipping, I'll roll the dice on one.

There is a link on the 4-outlet version down the page to the 8-outlet one. (or http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-ch...ef=pd_sim_MI_1)

The 8 outlet version is mountable in a 19 inch instrument rack (a standard size in the biz). Otherwise it is 3" tall, 20" wide (yikes!) and 6" deep plus room for the outlets and plugs beyond the 6". It would be workable for the entertainment center but way out of line for the charging center.