Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Hi All,

Building my first project here:

Bench-tool System

Anyway, I'm having trouble planning how to edge frame the indivdual shelves that hold the tools. The plans do not depict this joint and I do not believe glue only will be sufficient. Basically, 3/4" MDF with 1x2" edging. The bench tools will put all the weight on the mdf and the sheer force on the joint is 100%. When put on the mobile base, no problem. The base has a top that will support the weight. When in the "rack" there is no support except on the edging.

My thoughts are to either create a rabbit and recess the mdf top in this rabbit or build the fram under the MDF top. Then the frame supports the tool and no shear glue joint.

I am missing someting here. Sorry for the "Stock" photos from on-line, I am on the road and can't stop thinking about this project and how to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-25-2009 at 7:19 AM.

Hi Jon. This looks like a good project. I thought about building something similar but haven't gotten around to it.

I'd probably rabbet the top inside corner of the edging. This should give you more than enough strength for your benchtop tools.

Welcome Jon!
    Let me make sure I understand correctly. Are you referring to the cabinet and the side (cleat) supports for each tool? Or the actual shelf that each tool attaches to?

If it is the shelf itself, I would build your outside frame 1/2" or ¾” taller and run some wide supports under the MDF so that you have something solid to bolt your tool to. This would still make it flush on top, but allow you to install some wide pieces of wood underneath for added support.
    If it were me, I would skip the MDF and use 3/4" project Plywood and run the rabbet that Shawn was talking about. I just don't trust MDF when it comes to constant abuse. However, if it's properly supported underneath it should be just fine.
    Looks like a great project, good luck!

Blog Entries
    I agree that a rabbet is most likely. I am very surprised that this is not detailed in the plans. I would email the provider and ask for clarification if I paid for plans that were missing information. They owe you a discount ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would either make the cleat a little wider and the edge trim thinner - such that the mdf actually bears on the cleat. Or, apply the edge trim as a "t" trim. Mold it with a tongue on it, then run a corresponding groove on the edge of the mdf. Glue it heavily and don't worry about it. Although the mdf will soak up the glue, once a good joint is made it should hold fine.

Thanks guys fro the responses. Indeed the question is related to the shelves that the tools bolt onto. The cool thing is that the shelves slide over the base cabinet top and prevents it from moving (slidign around). The more I think about it, the rabbit with 45 corners seems to be the best approach.

Now I need to get a dado blade (no router yet) and create a sacrificial fence.

Harbor Freight (I know... but I am cheap and not made of money) has a dado blade set I may pick up. Will post pics when I decide how to finish this.

Thanks!
    Jon