Thread: How do you get the hose on the pipe?

How do you get the hose on the pipe?

I am trying to make a boring bar for a new hook tool I got from Mike Houslak, normally I use a wood handle but want a long heavy handle so I bought some 3/4" iron pipe. People say they put the a hose over it for a softer grip. I must of bought the wrong stuff. I bought clear 1"id hose with the nylon weave. My lowes only had 1"id and 1 1/4"id which was way to big. what do you guys use?

Bob

Bob,

I haven't done hose on a handle but 2 things you might try.

1. Use talcum powder as a lubricant.....baby powder. We use it all the time when pulling cables through a tight conduit.

2. Heat the hose with a hair dryer and see if it expands. Some types of plastics will expand when heated....some will shrink.

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Bob, I made some heavy handles, but I used 1" mild steel rod, and the 1" clear nylon weave reinforced slid on easily with some hot soap water on both the handle and hose, should work if your pipe is 1" outside dimension, good luck.
    Have fun and take care

Bob:
    I found a Creeker's website that Doug Thompson links to in doing the pipe handles. I used a rubber hammer and beat the crap out of mine to soften the hose up to get it on. It is not easy and I don't think I would do it again.

My first one, I actually cut the hose and filled in the small gap with some epoxy so that it was smooth. This was before I found the website and asked how to do it.

All the best.

Don

Bob, you can rub some dishwashing soap on the pipe, no water, then slide the hose on. I use this method to put grips on dirt bike handlebars. Just make sure you have it where you want it, before it dries.
    .........Tony.........

Or you can do what I did and go to Walmart and buy the soft rubber grip tape used for tennis rackets. There are two kinds I found. One is just like the old vinyl steering wheel covers. The second is a really soft rubber one quite thick actually. Its self adhesive and stays put once you stick it. Was less than $5 I think.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Just thinking out loud here

Maybee use some pipe insulation and heat shrink tubing?
    A quick google... 2" shrink tubing over 3/4" pipe with some insulation might work.
    http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/heat-shrink2.htm

You can put the hose in a pan of hot water to expand it.
    I have done this for other plastic hose when it just would not go on.

Jerry

I heat the steel up on my wood stove----a shot of WD-40 into the hose---slide it on---have a rubber mallet handy to beat the Crap out of it.
    remember the steel is to hold to hold without gloves---DAMHIKT
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I went with a Jerry/Gary combo and got it on. I started by boiling the hose and got it on a few inches, stuck it back in the water with the pipe hanging out and got a few more inches. stuck it back in the third time and the steam going up in the capped pipe made the pipe hot as well and it slid right on. One thing I know for sure is it will never slip on me.

Bob

Bob,
    What are you using to join the bar to the tool? I'm having a problem finding fittings for pipe over 1/2". I want to fit a 5/8" bar to 3/4" and 1" pipe. So far, the amount I've paid for fittings that don't fit would have easily paid for a handle by Dave Peebles.

Burt

Burt ,
    I just bought a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer and I am going to drill the treads out to 3/4" cause the the size of boring bar I used and the jb weld it in there.

Bob