Thread: 110V Motor to 220V

110V Motor to 220V

Have a 1.5hp induction motor on my DC on 110V. Need help converting it to
    220V. Yes, the plate on the motor shows 12 A/6A. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Travers View Post
    Have a 1.5hp induction motor on my DC on 110V. Need help converting it to
    220V. Yes, the plate on the motor shows 12 A/6A. Thanks for the help.
    Most dual voltage motor I've seen had the wiring diagram on the name plate. It'll say "low voltage" and "high voltage" (sometime "lo volt" and "hi volt"). If your motor is a 120/240 volt motor, the low voltage is how to wire it for 120V and the high voltage is how to wire it for 240 volts.

There is a standard color coding but you have to understand how motors work to use it well. If you can't figure it out any other way, I'll look up the color code for you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Art,
    There is usually a diagram on the back side of the wiring access cover on the end of the motor (opposite end from shaft). Inside there are labeled terminals and wires that should match the diagram. You will need to change the connections of several of them to match the "high voltage" part of the diagram. Double check your work before turning it on. Also be prepared to turn it back off quickly when you first try to start it. You should also have the load disconnected (belt removed, etc.) when you do this. If you can't find the diagram, the motor manufacturer likely has it posted on his internet website.

Charley