Thread: Marketing to Sign Shops

Marketing to Sign Shops

Scott had mentioned a week or two ago that if you had 3-4 sign shops that they would keep you pretty busy. So I'm starting to do a little marketing research about who I should approach and how.

The shops without lasers or CNC's should be easy to identify, But if a shop has a CNC, would there be any need for laser services? In other words, is there anything a laser can do better, cheaper, or faster that a CNC can't?

I was planning to put together a small portfolio of items to show.....ie. nametag size cut and engraved items such as different colored acrylics, wood cut and engraved in different ways, fabrics such as leather or fleece, engraved glass and mirrors, cut and engraved corian, engraved marble/granite/brick/rocks (not quite sure how I'll get these in nametag size!), LED edgelit acrylic, stencils or sandblast resist masks.......any other ideas?

Should I just be looking for referrals or to actually do the behind-the-scenes subcontracting work (where they handle all contact/billing with the customer)?

The obvious question will be.....how much do you charge? Do I give them a general $2/minute or more specific $2/sq inch....so they can quote their customers?

Any other advice for approaching sign shops?

Thanks!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve

I have three sign shops as customers. Mostly I'm making name tags and small things including sublimated brass labels.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, Do you cut these on the laser, buy them pre-cut, or do it manually?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

What you do depends on the sign shop. I currently do work for several, though I am a sign shop. One does only large format printing, and for them I do mostly laser cut acrylic that they mount some of their prints on for small signs like apartment/condo door number signs. The ones that I do the most work for are advertising specialty/marketing dealers that sell only, and use me and others for the actual work, depending on what it is. In each case I have negotiated their prices. It pretty much has to be less than what you sell retail for, in order for them to make a profit, but how much less is something that can be worked out. Remember they are going to find the customers, do the artwork in the format you want, and collect the money, so you are saving time and money. It could range from 10% to as much as 50% off retail prices depending on volume. Just make sure you are still making a profit and negotiate changes as materials go up in cost.

People with a CNC may still want laser cut items since the edges are nicer,
    and may also use you for name badges and desk name plates. Rotary engravers and CNC machines use a bit, even the smallest leave a round
    corner which is not often satisfactory when the customer needs a lot of detail.

Many sign shops have neither a CNC or laser and send that out to someone else already, so you may have to prove that your work is a better value for them. I actually do work for some wholesale customers that they resell to sign shops who then sell to the customer.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Tim

I cut all engraving plastic with the laser and usually bevel most of them. On the sublimated stuff if I use metal I cut it myself or if I use FRP I buy the blanks or sometimes cut larger ones on the tablesaw and round the corners with a file.

I do black and white sub in house and outsource color dye sub. sheets.

My wholesale price to sign shops for name tags averages around $6.50 with magnets.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks guys. Now I have to figure out where to find these advertising specialty/marketing dealers!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

That's a horse of another color. Those guys don't want to pay a fair price and some of don't want to pay at all. Get your money up front.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    That's a horse of another color. Those guys don't want to pay a fair price and some of don't want to pay at all. Get your money up front.

Small unmarked bills is the best....
    Epilog Mini 24 - 50 watt with Rotary Attachment
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40 Rotary Engraver
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40G Rotary Engraver with Rotary Base Fixture
    Ricoh GelSprinter GX e7700N Dye-Sublimation Printer
    George Knight DK-20S Heat Press
    George Knight DK-3 Mug Press (x2)

Corel X7; Photograv 3.03; LaserExpress, Adobe CS5.5
    Vinyl Express GRC-61 - 24" Vinyl Cutter
    And other stuff I don't know how to use

Everyone is different, so you might try something different than I would, but I don't see much value in taking fabric samples to a sign person. You need to think about the things that their customers would be coming to them for. Acrylic letters, wood letters, anything that's a letter or even better, a logo. An acrylic logo would be a great example to take to them.

The laser has advantages over the CNC router in a number of places. You can cut detail and sizes that the CNC won't in most cases. The router involves torque, where as the laser does not, so some problem jobs for a router are perfect for the laser.

Just think about what they are selling. Signs. Logos. Items that help a company brand itself. Forget the trinkets and go for items that they will be happy to tell their customers they can offer them.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks Scott.....I like the acrylic logo idea. If you have any other ideas for samples, I'd love to hear them.