Thread: 10 HP outboard boat for super shallow creek

10 HP outboard boat for super shallow creek

Looking at Squirt by Glen L but would like any suggestions. I've got a 9.9 Mercury outboard on a Gheenoe but would prefer side by side seating.

Got a link to 'Squirt' ?

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Richard,
    That little boat brings back a lot of memories. It is the one boat that I attempted building (with my father) and never finished. Unfortunately, I became a teenager before we had time to finish it.....

I did ride in one when I was about 12 years old and it was a fun little boat. I can't remember the exact hp, but it definitely wasn't over a 10hp. Of course each of us were probably a whopping 80lbs. at the time. I looked at the one Rich Stabler did in Poulsbo, WA. What a beautiful piece of work. That is just 20 miles south of me. I'd like to see that boat some day.

Not know what your specific use is intended, I don't know what kind of recommendation you are looking for. They wouldn't be a good fishing or skiing boat, but for a little boat that is meant to go fast with a small motor, with 2 (small) people, they are a lot of fun.

Greg

Thanks Greg, if only we could relive our teen years, my grandfather was a master machinist and woodworker, at least I have his fathers German hand tools!

Boats main requirement is to run shallow. Fast is OK, but secondary. Creek bottom is clean sand with drift wood. Most other craft I see are Jon boats, I'm looking for more flair

Have you thought of Doug Hyland's Ben Garvey? Nice lines, easy construction and shallow draft w/ plenty of side-by-side room. 9.9 HP should work although might be a little underpowered if running offshore alot. I realize it's bit more towards the Jon Boat vein although with some neat mods it could be a great camp cruiser for exploring those rivers and such.
    http://www.woodenboatstore.com/159-B...tinfo/400-126/

Good Luck,
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 03-28-2009 at 2:23 PM.