Thread: Tool rest question

Tool rest question

I just bought a Nova 1624 and of course it came with a 12" tool rest. I want to get a 6" one also. I was wondering what style some of you like best, the round bar type rest or the more flat ones. I've never used a round bar type and was wondering about the differences. I would appreciate any opinions you could send my way.
    Thanks!
    Chris

The best tool rest out now is the Robust. It has a hardened piece of drill rod as the top surface. No more dings from sharp cornered tools. The shape of the rest is designed to fit the heel of your hand to give good tool control. I have a 9 inch one and plan to get a 6 inch one.

Wally

Chris, I just ordered a 6" Robust comfort rest for my DVR lathe from Craft Supplies. Everyone that has used them really like them because you can get so much closer to the work compared to round bar rest and the rest is a hardened steel rod. Here is a link to the Robust site. http://www.turnrobust.com/Comfort_Tool_Rests.html

Good Luck

Alan

I prefer the round stock tool rests.

Chris:
    For detail work, the Robust 6" rest is very good. It allows you to get right up next to the work and control the tool. They are not inexpensive, so I made one and epoxied a hardened rod on top. It works great for small work.
    For larger work or roughing out bowls, I like to use the round bar rests. I have them in several lengths. I have a friend who welds and they were also inexpensive to make.

All the best.

Don

Chris - I turn mostly hollow forms and bowls and prefer the round stock tool rests from Monster tools as they allow for a lot of flexibility when using my larger gouges.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Chris,

Steve & Don pretty much told the story. I own the round bar stock type with a couple of sizes and variations. I like them, but I've turned on the Robust rests and REALLY like them a lot. I use the rest as a sort of depth gauge to enable me to make cylinders really quickly and proficiently. My 1" fat round tool rest is okay at this, but the 1/4" round hardened steel bar that tops the Robust is better by a bunch, imo.

That being said, my next tool rest purchases will NOT be to expand my round bar system, as I had presumed when I bought them, but I'll be purchasing a couple of Robust rests. LOTS of room for my fat fingers. Jet, Delta and even PM rests don't have a great deal of room for my fat fingers to use an underhand grip that I prefer for most detail work. Really nice rests, those Robusts.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

I have the 6" Robust and there is nothing finer in my opinion. They are slick and I am going to order a 9".
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Re: Round bar tool rests

Chris,

The advantage of a round bar tool rest is that it is strong and is easy to keep smooth so your tools slide easily over the surface. The disadvantage is that the closest you can support your tool to the work is (in most cases) half the thickness of the bar. This means your tool needs to hang farther over the rest than with most other tool rest designs. Not a big deal, in most cases. If you're doing fine detail work, a design that allows you to support your tool a little closer might be better.

A big second on the Robust tool rests. I have tried some round bar tool rests and didn't like them. Just didn't feel right. I have always used flat bar stock rests that are angled towards the piece beint turned. Gets you farther away from the banjo.
    robo hippy

Thanks much for sharing your opinions and experiences with me. I have looked at the robust rests before and I've decided to go ahead and get one of those. Thanks again!
    Chris