Thread: A quick cabinet build

A quick cabinet build

I started this thread on another forum. I have limited shop time and wanted to force my self to finish in a timely maner . I will post pictures as I build this cabinet. Today I sized the lumber for the cabinet from 6 foot by 6 inch pine lumber. The sides were cut to 34 and 1/2 inches. The top and bottom were cut to 25 and 1/2 inches. Then I routed the toungh and groves in the boards. Next I glued up the panels. More next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The second day of this build

Ok todays instalment. I started to put the carcase togeather. I had a lot of choices as to how to join the wood. But because this has to be quick and the only other thing I required of my build is to look nice I put it to geather with 4 inch deck screws. This gives the case a lot of stability. Befor I screwed the case together I resized the pieces. Just to make sure each piece was the same size as the other side and top with bottom. Having done that I started screwing the pieces together. I cut triangles out of scrap and put them in the back corners to add reinforcement.

Day three of the cabinet build

Today I made the face frame. I also cut pieces for the door and panel.

Day four a cold one

After watering the dahlias inside the house I went out in the very cold shop to work. The first thing I did to day was bring the router inside and change the bits. After the bit was changed I had to size it up with a old piece that had the design I wanted on it. Or we can call it a jig. Went back into the shop and cut the rails and stiles. Brought the router back in the house and set up for the other cut. The hammer in the third picture is just there to hold the fixture down. The weight of the clamp made the wood stand up. Hard to get a picture that way. I was to lazy to hunt for a smaller clamp to hold the two pieces of wood togeather. The last shot is of the door frames. A little planing after I build the panels and it will fit like a glove.

Day five of the cabinet build

To day I glud up the blanks for the door panels. After that I started to make the cuts outs for the hinges. I first layed the hing on the face frame and outlined it. I did this at 6 inches in from each end. No real reason for 6 inches other than it look good to me there. Then I took my carpet knife and cut the out line in deeper. After laying the hinge on the router plate to get the right depth ,I lined up the block on the router to keep it from cutting in too far. I just use a scrap piece of wood with clamps on the base plate to hold it there

The next installment

Today we finished up cuting out the slots for the hinges in the face frame. Then we resized the panel blanks. Once the blanks were the right size for the door panels we started routing the panels. I used my horizontal table with the virtical panel bit. As you can see the panels fit the door frame like a glove. At least that is what the lady next door said when she saw it today. She dose not know that this is her birthday presant she is watching being build.

Net step

I started today by sanding the face frame to be sure it would lay flat on the carcase. Once I was done with that screwing the face frame to the carcase was the next step. Having finished that task I attached the hinges to the face frame. then I attached the door to the other side of the hinge

The last Photo

Today more sanding got done. Also plastic putty was applied to the screw holes. The second door was attached. The only thing left is to apply a lot of poly to the out sides. The shelfs are made and standing by. The back has been purchased. So I hope you enjoyed my build.