Thread: Looking at Used Lasers and need some guidance

Looking at Used Lasers and need some guidance

I am in the market for a used laser, have a couple to look at, and need some guidance on how to best tell if they are working up to specs. The two I am looking at have not been used in a while and neither have a computer hooked up. I have a laptop I can take for the inspections if I knew what to have pre loaded. I think I need to know if the tubes are operating close to their rating, and if the alignment is good in all 4 corners. Just don't know how to best accomplish this.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Peterson TX View Post
    I have a laptop I can take for the inspections if I knew what to have pre loaded. I think I need to know if the tubes are operating close to their rating, and if the alignment is good in all 4 corners. Just don't know how to best accomplish this.
    That's a tough one Larry because of not enough information.

What research have you done?

What make?

Which model?

Do a search on this group, the questions have been asked a dozen times before, in fact, early last week or thereabouts as I recall.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

I would load up Coreldraw and some sample files to run. They don't need to be very big (when lasered). Take some material with you and use settings for an identical machine to check the power. I'm sure you could ask some of the members here for their settings. As for alignment, I wouldn't worry about that, it's not terribly difficult to correct that yourself, but I would check focus at the 4 corners to make sure the table is reasonably level.

I'm sure others with a lot more knowlege will chime in.
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Thanks Dave and Bill.

In answer to the unknowns, one is a Pinnacle M-25(25 watts) and the other is a Epilog Legend 24EX(75 watts).

--lwp--
    Last edited by Larry Peterson TX; 03-27-2009 at 8:18 PM.

How many Watts?
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Peterson TX View Post
    Thanks Dave and Bill.

In answer to the unknowns, one is a Pinnacle M-25(25 watts) and the other is a Epilog Legend 24EX(75 watts).

--lwp--
    I'd be more serious about the Epilog.. Epilog service is second to none, even with used machines, and you can download and install the drivers you will need right from the epilog site. (you will need the drivers, as well as Corel, and some files) you can also download some sample files from the epilog site as well.. Once you have everything loaded, you should just be able to plug the machine into your T1 or printer port and run.. You can also write down the serial number, and epilog will give to the history of the machine 'before' you buy it..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it