Thread: Roll away tool chest (modded filing cabinet)

Roll away tool chest (modded filing cabinet)

Hey everyone, need a little help making sure I'm choosing the right slides for the project I'm working on.

I've been using some nice heavy duty filing cabinets for some tool storage and I'd like to kick them up a notch. (I'll post some pictures a little later to help.)

One of the things I'd like to do is add an extra drawer to the existing 10" deep drawers (splitting them in half basically into 2 x 5" drawers). The top half of the back of the drawers are open, so I thought it wouldn't be too hard to attach slides to the insides of the drawers and make an extra 'drawer inside a drawer'. When the original drawer is pulled open, the extra drawer would travel with it because its attached inside...then, it could be slid back to access the tools underneath. The drawers slides are nylon wheels around steel ball bearings.

Given that these things are built to handle a heavy load packed full of papers, I'm sure they'll handle what I'm putting in there. Really, all I'm doing is splitting up what's already in there to provide easier access and be better organized. The only weight I'm adding is the slides and the wood for the extra drawer.

Since I got the filing cabinets for free, I'm seeing this as a very economical way to fix up my storage and keeping it heavy duty too. Then I'm going to get them up on casters, add a push handle, and maybe even add a clamp rack to the back.

The drawers are 16" deep. So is this what I'm looking for? (KVTT100 B16)

http://wwhardware.com/media/products...0sellsheet.pdf

Those should work just fine. I like the 100lb capacity drawer slides.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.