Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: Trestle Table

PROJECT: Trestle Table

Friday, March 27, 2009

So, I just got home from my hardwood dealer, and am proud to present the first stick of lumber to be used in the build of my new trestle table. The design process that I went through can be seen in this thread. I did ultimately decide, with a great deal of support from SWMBO , to go with Sapele for this project. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Sapele1 (816 x 612).jpg

That board comes in just under 22bf. It's 130"x12"x2", and weighs about a metric ton! This is going to be one stout table. This lumber is going to be used for the feet, legs, under-table shoulders, and the cross-supports. If I lay it all out properly, I should be fine.

The ribboning in the Sapele is what sold my wife on this species. It really is beautiful. I wiped on some mineral spirits, just to get a quick preview of what is to come...

Sapele4 (816 x 612).jpg

I'm going to let it acclamate for a few days before I start marking it up for milling. I've got to get the bandsaw tuned, and convince my 12 year old that giving dear old Dad a hand in the shop won't actually kill him.

I can't wait to get started!!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Trestle Table usefulness

That's some beautiful wood you have there and I'm sure it will make a nice table. The first dining table I made was a trestle table and I used it for 10 years.

Beautiful piece of wood Keith.
    That is going to be one very heavy table.

Keep us up to date on the progress.

That is some gorgeous wood! I must have missed the thread on the table design and just checked out the sketches - looks like a really neat project. So, what is the top going to be? Are you going with Sapele?

Man that's pretty!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Beautiful

Stunning! Too bad this is not for the top!
    Look forward to seeing it as it is built.

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Thanks, guys!!

The table is going to be Sapele throughout, aside from the wedges in the tenons. Those will be a lighter wood...probably maple. I am also thinking about incorporating some inlay of some kind in the top. My hardwood supplier has a bunch of this 8/4 material in stock, most of it with even heavier ribboning than this board. I asked him if I could come back early next week and pick through his boards to find those with the heaviest figuring, and put it in "layaway". I didn't have the cash on hand to get it all today. He said it would be no problem.

I will definitely keep updating the thread as I move along.

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Wow...awesome material, Keith!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great stock. It will make a beautiful table. I can't wait to see your final finish and how you get it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post
    Friday, March 27, 2009

I've got to convince my 12 year old that giving dear old Dad a hand in the shop won't actually kill him.

- Keith
    Good luck with that one, if you find something that works let me know!!

Looks like that going to be one great looking table when you get it finished, looking forward to the progress pics!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Will be watching this build.

Very nice looking stock. Thats a great start towards a great project Keith.

Update

Update: Tuesday, April 14

After a too-long delay, I was finally able to start dicing up that stick of Sapele. I had originally determined that I would be able to get all pieces, south of the table top, out of that one piece of lumber. As it turned out, the only thing that I didn't mill out were the two feet.

Originally, I had some trouble finding 12/4 Sapele, but what I did find was unbelievably expensive. I had to laminate two thinner pieces together in order to achieve the 3.5"x2.5" legs. They came out pretty good, I think.

LegsMilled (816 x 612).jpg

For the trestle stretchers, I laid them out in the rough so that I could maximize the ribboning. The picture doesn't show the true figure, but it is very pretty...

StretchersMilled (816 x 612).jpg

At this point, I'm ready to start shaping the legs. I used a piece of MDF to lay out the template. I've yet to cut the template, but am hoping to get that done today.

LegTemplate1 (612 x 816).jpg

Once I get that done, I'm going to be spending some quality time with my 14" Delta bandsaw. It needs a very serious tune-up!!

Thanks for looking!!

- Keith

That's really nice. I'm excited to see how it turns out

You're off to a great start...keep us posted.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"