Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PROJECT: Trestle Table

Update!

Update: Tuesday, April 15

Today is just a quick update to show a few pictures of last night's progress. I got the leg template all shaped up, and traced the pattern out onto the leg blanks. After that, I loaded the dado set into the table saw and began cutting the tenons.

Tenons1.jpg

The tenons turned out OK, but it became even more obvious to me that I really need to invest in a new dado set. It's a good thing that the shoulders for these legs won't be visible, 'cause they ain't pretty! I'm going to use my Freud Box Joint blades for the tenonson the two lower stretchers. Since these will be through tenons, I want them as clean as possible as they come off the saw.

One of the things that I promised myself going into this project was that I was really, really going to slow down, and take my time to check and re-check everything before moving on to the next step. That promise saved me from making a catastrophic mistake on the legs. Take a look at this picture, and notice that the direction for the curve traced onto all four legs is the same.

Tenons2.jpg

Uhh....WRONG!! I need two legs curving to the left, and two legs curving to the right. I was in a bit of a hurry to start cutting the tenons, and forgot to flip the template over in order to gain the change in direction. That would have been a very expensive (to me, anyway) mistake!! But, no harm...no foul. I'll erase the lines on two of the legs and retrace. After that...I'll continue to go nice and slow.

As always, thanks for looking!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Looking good Keith, nice save on the near fatal mistake there too!! Ive done stuff like that a million times. Its very easy to get into a rhythm and not see these mistakes sometimes.
    I'll be watching this thread, looks like its going to be one super nice table!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Love yr progress pix. Gorgeous wood.