Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shop - Time for some input

I went to the tuff Shed site, but for some reason when I input the Zip Code for you it comes up with their St. Louis, MO store. That site only lists garages up to 24' x 30' like I stated. Very strange, but I'm glad that you found a bigger one listed. If you can get a break on the concrete work that will make a big difference no matter who builds your building. Perhaps your friends know of someone who will build your shop cheaper too.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I gleaned all the knowledge that I could from this site and others prior to building my shop. After three years, I find some things good enough to recommend quickly to others.

First of all, the motion activated light just inside the door. There is really nothing quite so nice as not having to grope for a light switch when entering the building. One incandescent bulb is enough light to get inside and fetch something without having to wait for the metal halide lamps to warm up. It turns off after 5 minutes, so I can just walk away.

I shied away from the traditional roll up door as being awkward and hard to insulate. I installed two 36 inch exterior doors swinging out. This does not take up floor space, requires no overhead structure, and allows plenty of room for moving things in and out. The doors line up with the table saw, so I can go straight from the truck to the saw.

The radiant heat in the floor is wonderful. No flames, no vents, no filters, no drafts.

I had awnings made for the doors, so that I can leave the doors open for ventilation without worrying about water splashing into the shop when it rains.

I installed a 36 inch whole house fan in the upper center of the rear wall for ventilation. (12 foot ceiling) It draws a breeze through the main work area.

I put R13 insulation in the walls and R49 in the attic, so my heating costs are low. The area is shaded, so my unairconditioned building rarely gets over 80 degreees or so in the summer.

The epoxy coating on the floor makes it easy to clean.

I wish that I had installed a sink.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Good ideas one and all here. I'll just say; wall cleats, wall cleats (french cleats that is).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I have not read every post in the thread in detail, hopfully no one has mentioned this already. I have something to think about NOT doing. Please consider not having a dedicated finishing room. I have one that never got completely finished. That's right, an unfinished finishing room. By unfinished, I mean no cabinets or tables and no ventilation system. This room has turned into a big storage room. I now do my finishing in a open area in the middle of the main shop which works out ok for me. Honestly, even if it had gotten finished, I think it would still have ended up being a storage room.
    For the hobbiest (me) finishing really takes up very little time in the building of a project. I know for me, I will spend maybe 2 or 3 days finishing a project that has taken me several months to build. Plus, I am not generating new dust while the finishing process is going on, like in a pro shop. Having an area in the shop that is used for finishing, but can also be used for assembly or other activities would be a better use of that valuable shop floor space.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Lots of great advise here already.

I will add one. Your are building a large shop, which should have plenty of room for everything now and the future. I had a 24'x50' building for my retirement shop and thought the same thing.

I went through several arrangements and had locked into one, until I looked at the flow of wood through the various tools. I went through several more layouts before I was satisfied with the sizes of wood I was expecting to use.

I did my layout in AutoCad that showed the tools and the wood in and out.

This help me.

Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have a dinky garage shop and will for the forseable future. Land costs about a million an acre in the 650 area code. It's too bad since I'm a general contractor and could do it all myself.

With most of the best ideas already being shared, when I dream of shop spaces, I love the idea of an upstairs loft space to hang out in and store various items. Also, I would put in a sound system and a wireless connection. Don't forget the shop sink and good place to store chemicals.

Barn Plans

Guy,
    I'm in the process of building my new shop (floor gets poured tomorrow). I found the plans for my shop at:
    http://www.barnplans.com/showcase/main.cgi?month=feb00
    Of course, I modified them to fit my idea but the truss supported gambrel roof gives me a clear span on the second floor and makes framing simpler.
    Jim
    Growing older is mandatory.
    Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember; it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate all the input. Right now, I'm looking at the Tuff Shed. I know I could probably build it cheaper by doing it myself, I just don't have the time. On top of that, once the footings and slab are poured, I can have the building up in a day. If I do this myself, it will probably take me 6 - 8 months to get it done.

As it is right now, the plan is for:
    10' ceilings
    6" Dust collection trunk lines in the floor - A center line to the table saw, and one line to each of the long walls
    Electrical outlets 50" (or so) off the floor, about every 6 feet. Wired so I can convert to 220 when necessary.
    Electrical outlets in the floor for the table saw and workbench/outfeed table
    1/2" plywood on all walls, covered with drywall
    10 8' T8 fluorescent lights.
    In-Floor radiant heat
    Hot/Cold water - Sink and Toilet
    Phone/wireless Internet