Thread: Dehumidifying a 2-car garage... ???

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa

Dehumidifying a 2-car garage... ???

As summer approaches, the humidity here in South Georgia is going to get extreme.

I'd like to try and protect my high-value machines with all the cast-iron as much as possible, while also trying to maintain the moisture levels of my lumber.

Can some of you recommend a dehumidifier that can handle a two-car garage and keep the humidity down around 60-65% or less? Also looking for a system that will allow me to run it 24/7 with a pump out capability so that I don't have to empty the unit all the time.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

I think that is a losing battle here in the South. I live in SW Florida and tried using a dehumidifier and it could not remove enough moisture. I insulated my garage including the doors but it didn't help much. I finally installed a Mr Slim heat pump split system and now I can control the humidity as well as the temperature.

There is hope ! I live in Jacksonville,Fl. I purchased a Whirlpool dehumidifier at Lowe's I think. It is wonderful. I empty it every few days. You can set it up to discharge outside but I haven't done that. In any case, it has made a huge difference. I treat my machines with Johnson's furniture wax, and only need to do that every six months or so. I also have an a/c for the garage but that is for my comfort and I only run it when needed. I run the dehumidifier 24/7. I would highly recommend it.

Jim

I also have a Whirlpool dehumidifer (the largest one they had) and have been running it in my garage for 3 years now and it is still going. I connected a 5/8 hose and it gravity drains though the wall to the outside. I also recommend it.

John

Ive got one made by LG that has worked very hard for the past 3.5 years. Pacific NW Winters are long and wet, so it chugs about a gallon of water out of my two car garage each day for about nine months of the year. I keep it at 35%

I went with the LG because most of them are designed to work in over 40 degree temps (I think it is 40), this LG is designed for down to 30 (something like that).
    fledgling weekend warrior

Even though it may pale in comaprison to southern summers, our basement gets quite humid during the summer months. I am on my second Sears Kenmore dehumidifier (the first lasted more than 10 years), and I have been very pleased with both of them. When I compared specs with what the big box stores had to offer, the prices at Sears were very good.

for general purposes
    a dehumidifer and an air conditioner are the same thing
    except the the dehumidifer has both coils inside the building
    an air conditoner has the cooling coils only exposed to the inside air

Buy a small window air conditioner throw it in the wall and you will dehumidife and cool for about the same cost it takes to run a dehumidifer...

ps if you use to big of an air conditioner it will not remove the moisture from the air as well since it cools to quickly thus does not run long enough

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    I think that is a losing battle here in the South. I live in SW Florida and tried using a dehumidifier and it could not remove enough moisture. I insulated my garage including the doors but it didn't help much. I finally installed a Mr Slim heat pump split system and now I can control the humidity as well as the temperature.
    Like Robert, I installed a mini-split system in my uninsulated 2-car garage here in southwest (central) florida. I live on the water. The system is not an energy hog and cools, heats and dehumidifies nicely. I've almost stopped putting rust-preventative coatings on my tools and machinery. The systems will run about $2,000, bout the cost of a capable dust collection system, but worth every penny. BTW, I rarely open the garage door. Hasn't been open for over a year.

Frank, I have been running a dehumidifier in my shops for many, many years. From Maine to Virginia to Washington to Massachusetts. The one that I have is like the one Brad mentions - it runs effectively to 30 degrees. Others will freeze up once the temp dips below 35 (I don't think you'll have this problem). The model I have has a defroster built in.

Most of them have a plug that can be removed to attach a garden hose to so the pan will continually drain. I went a step further and purchased a small submersible 120v pump and installed it in the pan. When the condensate reaches about 4 inches high, it kicks on and pumps the water out. I have a long hose attached running outside. The advantage to this is that I can pump the water up (it was ncessary for a basement shop with no drain).

Be well,

Doc

Some models have an included pump, that makes it convenient to run the drain to your washer drain connection, if your laundry happens to be in the garage.

Blog Entries
    Unless your garage is finished (walls & ceiling) and closed off, you will not win this battle. The air leaking around the doors and the air exchange every time the doors get opened will defeat your dehumidifier. You will also be looking at a significant electric bill.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Unless your garage is finished (walls & ceiling) and closed off, you will not win this battle. The air leaking around the doors and the air exchange every time the doors get opened will defeat your dehumidifier. You will also be looking at a significant electric bill.
    walls being unfinished may be an issue, but during our humid months (Nov to Jul), my garage door only opens to get the car in and out. While that does let in moist air, it is quickly addressed by the unit. Our electric bill is not bad... I don't know what it is, but if it were high, my financial manager (LOML) would say something.
    fledgling weekend warrior

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Wood View Post
    walls being unfinished may be an issue, but during our humid months (Nov to Jul), my garage door only opens to get the car in and out. While that does let in moist air, it is quickly addressed by the unit. Our electric bill is not bad... I don't know what it is, but if it were high, my financial manager (LOML) would say something.
    Typical 30 pint dehumidifiers use between 4 and 5 amps @120 volts, which is 480-600 watts. Every 10 hours of runnning is 4.8-6 KW @ $0.07 per KW is roughly $0.80 to $1.00 per day or $24-30 per month if it runs continuously.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    That's a lot cheaper electric bill than the cost of much of my prized wood... and my cast iron machinery! Cost well worth it IMHO!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten