Thread: Airline dog crates for boxer

Airline dog crates for boxer

Anyone have experience to suggest a size of crate to buy. The boxer is growing out of his current one which was for our boston. I believe he will be right around 70-75 lbs.
    Some sites recommend a 400 series or 500 series.
    Obviously im speaking of the plastic type the airlines accept.

Thanks

Hi, I have rough collies, but I asked a well known boxer breeder friend of mine and she said
    "A Boxer will fit in a 400 fiberglass crate but if they are going to be crated for long periods a 500 size would be better"

Julie

My question is do you plan on ever shipping the dog by air? If so, the airlines may dictate you use a certain size, not matter what the dog is comfortable in. You may also have trouble in what airline you can ship them by, as a 727 will only accept up to a certain size crate, forget if 300 or 400.
    If just for home use, we always use the foldable wire crates. Most of them are MidWest brand, but there are many out there. Jim.

Our Irish girls that are 60 to 70 lbs are comfortable in a 400. The boys that are 80 to 85 are much more comfortable in a 500.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 03-28-2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: left something off.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    My question is do you plan on ever shipping the dog by air? If so, the airlines may dictate you use a certain size, not matter what the dog is comfortable in. You may also have trouble in what airline you can ship them by, as a 727 will only accept up to a certain size crate, forget if 300 or 400.
    If just for home use, we always use the foldable wire crates. Most of them are MidWest brand, but there are many out there. Jim.

Our Irish girls that are 60 to 70 lbs are comfortable in a 400. The boys that are 80 to 85 are much more comfortable in a 500.
    Yes for airline. So no metal. My airline (alaska) accepts 400 and 500. So thats where my curiousity comes in. 400 fits alot better in my truck for transport than a 500. Height wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Rose View Post
    Hi, I have rough collies, but I asked a well known boxer breeder friend of mine and she said
    "A Boxer will fit in a 400 fiberglass crate but if they are going to be crated for long periods a 500 size would be better"

Julie
    Thanks Julie.

Craig
    The crate needs to be tall and long enough for him to standup and wide enough to turn around at a minimum.
    Mike