Thread: My latest effort

My latest effort

Jewelery Cabinet on a stand

Mahogany, white oak, mother of pearl, patinated brass, silvercloth

Dovetailed carcass & drawers, with sliding shelf in drawer

The mahogany was beautiful and highly textured with lots of switchback grain stripes. I tried to preserve the texture in the final finish. The Mother of Pearl was a PITA to work with. Highly brittle and very delicate.
    Last edited by Brandon Shew; 03-29-2009 at 11:21 PM.
    "Less is more." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Is that Mother of Pearl on the front panels??? WOW... I love the contrast here.

One theme that I have seen here and there is the idea of using vastly different contrasting materials in a piece. The affect, in my mind, is a sharp and extremely creative alternative to the norm. Sometimes it's difficult to make a choice like this, because it may be difficult to picture the outcome. You just have to go for it, though, and hope for the best.

You have done that successfully here. The white/light material up against that mahogany is stunning. Well done.

BTW: Where do you find a piece of Mother of Pearl that big? Or is it pieces pieced together?

Excellent end results and very pleasing...

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    Very nice.... But, you need to be careful building stuff like that.... your other half is now going to want to fill 'er up!

Great work!

Really wonderful piece!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great one , your wife my want to go on trips to fill it. Sea pearl in Hawaii. Jade in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    Very nice.... But, you need to be careful building stuff like that.... your other half is now going to want to fill 'er up!

Good thing it was built for my sister.

Dennis - the MOP was purchased in very thinly sliced veneer sheets (approx 5"x9" per sheet). It is hard to describe, but it looks like someone took larger pieces of MOP shell, cut them into rectangles and glued them together. The veneers were then cut from these larger blocks
    "Less is more." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Alright! Cool. Well I like the results!

The cabinet looks almost Krenof(esc) with a modern twist. I bet that MOP was a fortune in that quantity but the eye goes right to it and the contrast w/ the mahogany is spot on.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"