Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Box with Pic

Bandsaw Box with Pic

Now that I have finished the miter station and repaired the cyclone I can now get back to making sawdust. This is a bandsaw box I made for my mother-in-law. I always wanted to make one of these so I picked up a book called “Building Beautiful Boxes” by Lois Ventura. I went looking for wood and found some Canarywood at Mike Mastin’s place, Curly Woods. I picked up an Emerald Green flock kit at Woodcraft for the inside of the drawers.

<bk>
    This is a jig I made to install the drawer pulls. I had to install the pulls with brass dowels because I got ahead of myself and applied the finish before installing the pulls. I made a post last week about the problem and Don Selke came up with the idea of using dowels.
    After drilling the holes I used quick set epoxy to attach the pulls.

<bk>
    Thanks for viewing
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Steve. I need to try one of those boxs some time, they are nice looking.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Steve, you're a real pro at these boxes. This one looks great. I really like your grain selection on this one. It's just perfect for this box. Way to go.

Steve - The box looks great! I'm sure your mother-in-law will love it.

I have that same book and have been threatening to try one for myself. I don't have a belt sander like she uses though - not even a small one - have thought that the drill sanders may work but will take considerable longer time. What do you think?

Betsy

Steve,

Great job! The design really works with the grain - I especially like the open end. It sets this box apart from most I've seen.

BTW - how did you like the flocking kit?

Wes

Betsy,
    I don’t have a stationary wide belt and disk sander either. What I did; was take my hand held 3” x 21” belt sander, mount it upside down in my vice. The sander I have has a button that will lock the switch in the on position. That is what I used for the outside curves. For the inside of the box and drawers I used my Delta bench top OSS.
    Hope that helps!
    Steve

Very creative...wonderful design!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Real nice, Steve. How much shop time did it take?

Man, nice box......I have that book and when I get a shop, I will have to tackle a couple.

Wes,
    I was kind of apprehensive about using the frock kit, I had already cut felt to fit the inside the drawers but it would wrap over the center divider, but I wanted the wood to show. The great guys at Woodcraft said it was a walk in the park to use. The important part is to lay the color matched adhesive on thick. I used painters tape to mask the ends and cut a drinking straw in half to mask the center divider. Add the frock to the applicator and lay it on thick, let sit for 24 hours.
    Ted,
    After glue up, it took about two hours to rough cut. I spent about a week in the evenings to sand, and sand, and sand, then finish.
    Steve

Wow...great grain placement on that box! I have her book sitting here and intend to try a box as soon as I finish up a couple of projects I have going. Too lazy to keep changing the band saw blade back and forth right now!

Great job on the box, Steve! I'll echo what several other folks have said about the choice of wood and grain orientation...Beautiful! Yeah, they're a bit time-consuming, but I think worth it. I've made a few of them to date and (if!) I ever catch up on house remodels/repairs, I may try it again! Keep up the great work and, nice save on the handles, BTW!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Steve,

Thanks for the info. If I ever get back to building things I'll give it a look.

Wes

Thumbs up

Beautiful work, Steve!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Steve,
    Great craftmanship. I like your choice of wood. I have built three and am finishing the fourth, (Cetacean Migration), from the same book.
    Jerry
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"