Thread: concrete etching question?

concrete etching question?

I am going to be staining my patio in very near future. But first I have to etch it, and I need to know if the etching/rinse water solution run-off will damage some plants that surround the patio. Do I need to "dam" the patio and direct the rinse water to the grass in the yard or what? The plants in question are mostly banana trees but there are some tropicals that wouldn't want to kill either..pygmy date palm, philadendron, etc.
    All advice/previous experience appreciated.

Yes, the acid will damage some plants. You'll need to flush the area with plenty of water to dilute the efects.

Also, the fumes from the acid are very corrosive. Don't let any of your cast iron tools get exposed to the fumes. They'll literally rust in seconds! A few years ago, my neighbor acid washed his driveway to remove rust stains, and my garage door was up at the time. Within thirty minutes, both my tablesaw and my jointer tables were sompletely covered with a skimmer of rust!

Needles to say, but I'll say it anyway for emphasis - Wear protective clothing, goggles <U><B>and a face shield,</U></B> and rubber gloves while doing this job.

Thanks Jim

The response and advise on my question are much appreciated. It will probably be this weekend before I get to the this job. I need to finish some painting around the pation, eaves, doors, etc. before I start the etching. I don't have anything cast iron on the patio except for a bench which is going to be moved into the yard anyway.

Again thanks for the information.
    Danny