Thread: GLOAT: got TWO air-conditioner units for my upcomming new shop

GLOAT: got TWO air-conditioner units for my upcomming new shop

I've been planing and saving toward a new shop for about 3 years now.

Short story: my up and coming shed is being planned and I manage to put my hands on two air-conditioner units (cool and heat) for less than $200 (these are LARGE units in good working order - the engine sits outside while pushing air to the mini unit inside - so much less noise) - no shop yet so no where to put them - these $200 are counted as a donation so I even get back $50 from the tax authorities...

Long:
    My current shop is a small plastic shed standing on concrete, it is not bad (I mostly turn so I don't need that much space) - but I can definitley use more space (who can't?) - since at this stage I don't even have room for a drill-press (free standing or benchtop).

Anyway, place to build was never the problem as I live on a nice plot of land (my parents) in a rural village. Building regulations might exist, but for building a shed no one will come looking and inspecting it - actually this shed will be more legal than my house (we are actually allowed to build where the shed will be, and my house is kind of illegal... ).

So lately the price of iron has gone significantly down and it is high time for building... so we are measuring the space and will order the corrugated iron and other stuff needed and start building.

The shop size is planned to be 40 Square meters which is about 360 sq feet (if I got my math right). In addition to that we are building a small addition which will have a shower and sink (so that I can clean up right there - wife will be happy :-)) AND a small room for my wife to do her sewing and some house storage (about 12.5 square meters ~119 sq feet) which will make my wife REALLY happy!

Link to picture of current plastic shed - sitting on the site of the future iron shed - it's right in the middle...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/meshel/M...eat=directlink

Updates as we go - I will upload a sketch of the layout (a rectangle with a twist) to get suggestions on machine placement etc...

Very nice Moshe, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Metric dimensions are fine.

Two air conditioners would be enough for the plastic garden shed! It must get hot in there. Seriously though, looks like a great project. How many BTU's do the Ac units put out? You might only need one. I have a similar system in my shop with a ductless heating cooling unit. It works great. You will need very good dust collection to not clog them up. I think insulation would be a very good idea for your building. After the metal work is done, weigh your options. I had my shop spray foamed in one day. Not sure if it works equally well in a steel structure. Keep us posted.

Not sure how many BTU, however, these two units were used to cool/heat a MUCH larger room than what I have, I believe about 10 times the space volume...

Concerning the insulation - it is very important to do, but I am budget oriented so I take it one part at a time... right now I have the cash for the structure only (I would probably have to stretch for that as well)... The ACs were a lucky thing that I just couldn't miss!

You will probably only need one then. Keep the other as a spare. Good Luck. I understand Budget oriented. I mostly buy just used tools when I can.

I share your excitement for a new shop. I really enjoyed the planning and construction of mine back in 2002. Have fun
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic