Thread: New Delta 50-760

New Delta 50-760

I have a Delta 50-760 dust collector coming and I have a few questions. I know the main inlet is 5" diameter and I would like to make the duct as large diameter as possible, but it seems impossible to buy 5" diameter fittings, (PVC). Any suggestions? Should I somehow go up to a 6" diameter or would it be more practical to go down to 4" since I don't plan on making any runs longer than 12 feet from the collector. I also plan on using some type of pre separator either store bought or Thien.

Well, if all the forums and Bill Pentz are to be believed, 4" isn't big enough, and 6" is too big... (Go figure). While I do agree, 5" PVC seems to be non existent, but 5" galvanized HVAC ducting is readily available, at least near me... About double the price of 4" S&D PVC, but if you want the biggest you can do with that DC...

I have seen a few guys swap the inlet with a shop built one for 6" S&D. I think that MIGHT work with the 59-760. Not sure if that DC will move enough air for 6" though...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I went from a Pen State 1hp DC to the Delta 50-760. I previously used mostly 4in hose. I pretty much had a 10ft length of 4in hose connected to each machine and just ran all the hoses to the DC.

When I got the 50-760 I made these changes. I rearranged all my machines so they're in the center of my garage. Enlarged the ports on my cabinet saw and jointer to 5in. Wasn't possible to enlarge ports on bandsaw, router table or planer. Bought a 10ft length of 5in hose from Wynn Enviromental that connects to the 50-760 main and to each machine. I also have short sections of 5in nordfab duct coming out of tablesaw and jointer to make all the connections easy to change. I use a 5 to 4in reducer on the bandsaw, router table and planer. Someday I might try and get rid of the hose but its really easy to change from machine to machine. Going to 5in was a huge improvement over the 4. Someday I'd like to goto a cyclone and 6in. I got my nordfab duct from mcmaster.com but they also sell regular 5in duct.

~mark
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 04-01-2009 at 5:25 PM.

Mark could you or anyone else recommend a supplier for 5 inch components.

Has anyone out there swapped the port on the Delta 50-760 with a 6 inch inlet? I would love to hear how that worked out.

I currently have been using my 50-760 with 4 inch diameter 10 foot long flexible tubing moved from machine to machine and have been very happy with it. To protect the impeller, I'd really like to use a Thien-like pre-separator. Because of space constraints, it would be great if it could fit in the space beneath the motor, as shown in the attached drawing. Has anyone designed such a modification yet?

I thought the "can" might be a sturdy wooden box that pulls out from the side to empty. An appropriately-sized metal can with a rim that slides into a receiver is another possibility.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by David Parker View Post
    I currently have been using my 50-760 with 4 inch diameter 10 foot long flexible tubing moved from machine to machine and have been very happy with it. To protect the impeller, I'd really like to use a Thien-like pre-separator. Because of space constraints, it would be great if it could fit in the space beneath the motor, as shown in the attached drawing. Has anyone designed such a modification yet?

I thought the "can" might be a sturdy wooden box that pulls out from the side to empty. An appropriately-sized metal can with a rim that slides into a receiver is another possibility.
    David-

I made this same kind of modification and have been happy with it. I made the Thien baffle with plexiglass, which allows me to see the chip level in the can without removing the top.

Some pics are in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98100

Chad
    Last edited by Chad Harrison; 04-04-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Ken, I got my nordfab duct from www.mcmaster.com. Mcmaster sells all kinds of duct and has a warehouse in Los Angeles so I get everything really fast. Some other suppliers are Penn State Industries, Grizzly and Oneida Air Systems.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lefkowitz View Post
    Mark could you or anyone else recommend a supplier for 5 inch components.
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 04-04-2009 at 12:09 PM.