Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interesting 24 hours

interesting 24 hours

Yesterday was April Fools. I got to work at 715am like normal, parked in the normal place and did my normal job. Walked outside at 4:45 and no truck. Called the wife just to check...nope, no joke. Called the police and filed the report. They asked if it was a joke. Talked to the insurance company (I work for them) and made the report. They asked if it was a joke. LOML came an picked me up, she asked if it was a joke. At 1am (yes, 1AM) the police department for Farmer's Branch called to say that Dallas PD had found the truck and was towing it in. No idea where it was found or what the damage was. I'm awake now, called Dallas-nope, not in the impound yet, call back later. Now I can't go back to sleep. Called back at 6, on hold for 45 minutes and gave up. Ten am and the impound person tells me is is listed as no damage....(sure)

One long interview and a 4 page notarized document later the repair folks call to say they have the truck. They say no tires, no rims, steering column is damaged. I will go see it tomorrow.

Building security watches the video and sees the thief pull into a space 2 down from my truck, get out, go straight to the truck and slim jim the door and drive off. Looks like they did their homework. Total time to drive in and out....less than 45 seconds. Everyone who knows about it says "I am so sorry." and then kind of laughs or smiles. Even the police. What are you going to do? I would probably smile too if someone told me their vehicle got stolen on April Fools day.

Could be worse, it was not burned. Thanks for listening.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Did you have especially valuable wheels on it so they just stole it for those?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Plain vanilla factory rims. 20" tires. It was really all they were after. There is a big market for them. I had those locking lug nuts....if you think about it, they do no good if the entire truck is gone. You have to keep the key in the truck in case you have a flat.

Wow Mark, that is a good story for the future. Not so funny now, I'm sure.

Years ago I put a car on a car lot on consignment. The agreement was that no one was to drive the car. If someone wanted to drive it, I'd come meet them. Decided to stop by there on a Friday night to look at it. Wasn't there. Everyone was gone home as well. Called Saturday morning and it they said "We thought YOU took it".

Nope, not me. Stolen. The rule was after 30 days, I'd get the claim for a replacement from the insurance company. 28 days later I get a call. Apparently it was involved in a high speed chase that involved lots of police, a helicopter, and police dogs. After he wrecked it, he bailed into the river and tried to float away (all at night). They fished him out the river and locked him up. Got the car back, full of wigs and all sorts of freaky things, and wrecked.

Hopefully you'll get your truck back up to speed with not too much hassle.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

For a tip on maybe getting some replacement rims and tires a little cheaper than new, go to a dealership for that type of truck and ask if they have any factory take offs. We sell trucks that people want bigger wheels and tires, so the new ones are taken off, and sold. There are also some businesses that buy these from truck conversion companies, and resell to the public. Much cheaper for factory stuff than new.
    Sorry to hear of the loss. Just glad no one was in the truck when they decided to take it!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

That's not funny, I don't care if it DID happen on April 1st.

Major bummer. I had an apartment and it was broken into many years ago. . Nothing stolen. My roommate and I didn't have much but I sure felt violated that someone was creeping around my stuff. Nothing funny about your story-just a major headache for you. I hope they catch the robber soon.

I thought this was gonna be a thread about my favorite TV show, 24!!

Sorry about your troubles. These criminals need hung up by their privates.

Well, I think you were lucky to even get your vehicle back. I had a bicycle stolen right out of my garage. This bike is my commuter bike (I bike to work 5 days/week, 140 miles/week) and it had EVERYTHING on it: wallet, car/truck/house keys, upteem dollars in upgraded bike gear, panniers. It was a real headache getting the house, truck, and car rekeyed (and home owners would not cover it...neither would vehicle insurance).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Mark, sorry to hear about your vehicle theft.

A few years ago my wife took our minivan to her Girl Guides meeting at a local school.

When she left the meeting, our van was gone, she assumed that I had to go to work on an emergency callout.

Diann gets home and says to me "Where's the van?"

Being the silver tongued character I am I reply" Are you daft? You took the van to Guides".

Not one of my better comments................Rod.

I hope he is caught and sentanced on April Fools day. First tell him he got 15 days, and when he gets to his cell, tell him he really got 15 years.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Saw something on the Dallas news about a lot of thefts of GM truck and SUV wheels in the Plano area. Is that what you have?

Saw it this afternoon...not too bad. 2002 dodge truck, 4 door. they punched a hole under the door handle, messed up the steering column and the front valance. While I was looking at it, my wife was purchasing an alarm system. They took it for the tires/rims. even took the jack. No chance of ever catching them but I can dream. It will be fixed by Wed or Thur.

Since I work for my own insurance carrier, I am getting lots of "helpful" comments.

Thanks for the friendly ear, now I can relax and get my mind back on my turning.

Note to self: "When stealing a car, do so on April 1."

Bummer dude, when I hear about things like this I always hope I'd be the one to catch the guy stealing my truck. I wouldn't bother with the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Being the silver tongued character I am I reply" Are you daft? You took the van to Guides".

Hey Rod,
    Around here? That'd get you a frying pan up-side the head!!! Here's to hoping that your pans are still flat bottomed.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Mark, sorry to hear about your vehicle theft.

A few years ago my wife took our minivan to her Girl Guides meeting at a local school.

When she left the meeting, our van was gone, she assumed that I had to go to work on an emergency callout.

Now there's your April Fools Joke, no self respecting thief is going to steal a minivan. Sorry Rod, I just couldn't resist.