Thread: Is spray foam insulation fire resistant?

Is spray foam insulation fire resistant?

Hello I am Shane,
    I am living in Kansas. I would like to about the spray foam insulation. Does it fire resistant? If no than suggest me the available spray which are fire resistant.

Shane,

From what I have been told by contractors around here, it is fire and water resistant. I recently got bids on having my shop sray insulated. That is what I was told.

Shane,

Modern foam insulation is not flammable but it's not a substitute for proper fire stopping at the top and bottom wall plates and other gaps, holes etc. Those still have to be filled with an expandable fire stopping caulk or other suitable firestopping material.

Adam

I think they all are or even need to be or they couldn't put it in your home.

Are you going with open-cell or closed-cell? Open cell is soft and close-cell is like concrete when they cure.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Spray foam will melt and emit toxic fumes. You need to cover it with a barrier, I don't think you are allowed to leave it exposed.

How can I judge the foam spray which I bought is fire resistant?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Spray foam will melt and emit toxic fumes. You need to cover it with a barrier, I don't think you are allowed to leave it exposed.
    Not true, at least in this very picky jurisdiction, Phil. We have a closed cell spray foam "envelope" in our addition which makes the attic...where the HVAC system (gas furnace)...conditioned space. There is no barrier over the spray foam (about R50 up there) and it has both mold and fire retardant properties. Yes, it will burn, but so will fiberglass. It's the paper on glass that needs covered in most places.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

what kind of spray?

professional / contractor or expanding foam in the can at home cheapo?

Around here all foam insulation has to be covered by sheetrock from the interior structure
    so yes, the attic can have exposed foam if it is an attic, not a a living or storage area as long as their is a cieling in between living area and insulation

Shane

All of the info you are looking for should be on the manufacturers website, or printed on the product that you purchased.

Fire resistant/ Fire Retardent foams are available. Be very careful and apply them within the manufacturers directions. Some emit gasses, some do not. Some require separate, additional barrier protection, others do not. Some are rated for exterior walls only, and others have broader applications. Point being that they are all different in their application and usage.
    True "fireproof" foams are available, but they are wicked expensive, and require some pretty intensive specialized application methods. (Some I've used are rated at temps high enough to deform steel). Most of what is commercially available is rated in terms minutes/hours of barrier protection.
    If you could provide the name of the product that you intend to use, and where you intend to use it, it may be that someone has used the same product and could offer better insight on usage and application.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not true, at least in this very picky jurisdiction, Phil. We have a closed cell spray foam "envelope" in our addition which makes the attic...where the HVAC system (gas furnace)...conditioned space. There is no barrier over the spray foam (about R50 up there) and it has both mold and fire retardant properties. Yes, it will burn, but so will fiberglass. It's the paper on glass that needs covered in most places.
    Yeah, I didn't explain that very well. I thnk Phil Harold addressed it correctly in his response.

You may want to consult your local fire marshal if you have one. He/she might have the answer or know where to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    what kind of spray?

professional / contractor or expanding foam in the can at home cheapo?

Around here all foam insulation has to be covered by sheetrock from the interior structure
    so yes, the attic can have exposed foam if it is an attic, not a a living or storage area as long as their is a cieling in between living area and insulation
    As stated, our attic is conditioned space for storage and the HVAC system and the insulation is an envelope setup to allow for that. It's professionally applied closed cell spray foam with both mold and fire retardant in the formula. It's not required to be covered in this jurisdiction. Same for the crawl space walls and the envelope around the sprinkler system tank and pump.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's a link to one site for "bulk" kits for spray foam. http://www.rhhfoamsystems.com/

Here's the link to the Dow Great Stuff website. http://greatstuff.dow.com/greatstuff...ucts/index.htm

They offer a FireBlock variety of spray foam
    "Minimal expanding, polyurethane insulating foam sealant with a straw applicator. Fills, seals and insulates gaps, cracks and holes up to 1/2 inch. Impedes spread of fire and smoke through service penetrations. Recognized as an alternative fireblocking material in residential contruction. Brightly colored for easy code identification. Cures rigid. Orange color foam."

Note the orange color, so you can tell that it is the fireblock variety and not regular stuff.