Thread: Exhausting DC into crawlspace?

Exhausting DC into crawlspace?

After reading a few recent threads extolling the benefits of "Outtenism" (), I thought about how I might also exhaust my DC outside. Being in a neighborhood with closely-packed houses, though, I don't think I can blow everything directly outside.

Then I had a thought: I have a large crawlspace under my house (which is not used for storage and does not need to be routinely/easily accessible). Could I move my DC blower into the crawlspace, blow most of the chips into a large collection box, and let the fines just settle onto the floor and/or waft out of the crawlspace vents?

Other thoughts I had:
    -I have sufficient return air for the shop, and neither heat nor cool it, so no problems, there.

-I have 6" lines to everything, and a 2HP Grizzly blower I was planning on using.

-I like the idea of putting the blower in the crawlspace because I think it will substantially decrease the noise level.

-I'm not worried about getting chips back out of the crawlspace at any point - I will never even begin to generate enough chips for that to be a problem (I'll just leave them down there).

-The crawlspace has its own small vent fan and 2 small outside air ducts.

-My only concern is that fine dust will infiltrate the house, somehow. I've extensively explored the space, though, and it is sealed very tightly.

I think this seems like a very good idea, but saying "I'm going to exhaust my DC into the crawlspace" gives me the same kind of feeling that I get when I hear things like "Let's start a campfire in the attic" or such. So enlighten me, Creekers - What's wrong with this idea?

I am not aware of whether you have termites in CO, but sure sounds like a good way to attract every one of them that may be in the vicinity. We go to great lengths in this area to make sure our crawls are debris free, and the backfill around newly constructed houses is clean of debris. Other than the fines drifting back up through the floor and creating a dust problem, this would be my main concern.

Like John mentioned...termite bait.

Also, crawlspaces are a source for "make-up" air into your living space. If you have fiberglass insulation, any poorly sealed electrical connections, crawlspace mounted furnace, moisture issues..... well I would not vent into the crawl.

You can mount the blower and ducting down there, but think about blowing outside into some screened/muffled/filtered container.

I don't think that would be a good idea for several reasons.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I mut agree with the others. I wouldn't do it for the reasons mentioned plus others. It seems like it would be a natural "sponge" to collect, retain moisture. Dry dust in a confined area plus a spark could cause disaster, or so it seems to me. Damp or dry, either seems to cause concern.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Good point about attracting termites and being sponge-like.

I think what I might do, then, is use a preseparator and exhaust what remains directly outside.

I know this wouldn't happen, but as I read this all I could see was some malfunction that created drifts of chips, dust, etc in the crawlspace.......

Sorry, it has been a long day, and I'm kind of punchy...

What kind of wildlife are you considering raising, deer mice (carry Hunta virus) field mice, or any other type of rodent, squirrels chipmunks etc, racoons(very dirty ) porcupines, (love the glue on ply wood and OSB and will strip it off until there is only one lamination left, stand on it and you're down) DAMHIKT.
    All in all I don't think it's a good idea.
    Just my $.02 ($.016US)
    Regards
    Pete
    Milton Ontario
    Canada