Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to do mortise & tenons?

I make my tenons with a router and chop my mortises after removing some stock on the DP. I bought a mortising attachment for my DP that was a POS. I quite like chopping mortises by hand.

PS

I haven't seen anyone describe a way to make sure the face showing will have flush edges from the rail to the style. Which is the best method?
    Make the tenons first or the mortise? I have tried the router table for tenons, the tenoning jig on the saw. I still have trouble getting the face that shows flush.
    Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    The project drives the method for me. I have haunch tenons, floating and traditional on a current hutch I'm building. I would pretty much use a flaoting tenon anywhere one might use a domino or a dowel. I prefer traditional tenons for through or tusk tenons. I use haunches on frames to add twist strength.

If there is no other driving incentive, I will grab the Mortise Pal every time. Quick, repeatable, and doesn't take up much room when not in use. Since the reference face is always the same, the faces are flush. This can, of course be changed if a stepped relationship is desired.

w-Ped-Table-morts.jpg . 9-GnG Umb Stnd 16 mort.jpg
    CoD Mortise Pal 2.jpg . CoD Mortise Pal 1.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-14-2013 at 9:18 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tenoning jig on the table saw, and a mortiser in the drill press.

0707011505a.jpg0707011509.jpg0401011720.jpg
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 05-13-2013 at 5:14 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Just noticed this thread is from 2009.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Last summer I built a Norm Abrams version porch swing. The only structural joint used is mortise and tenon. The seat slats are screwed on. The back slats use moritse and tenon. I used a General International dedicated mortiser and my table saw with a stacked dado head to cut the tenons. The trick to getting a good fit on the shoulders is make sure the blade is perpendicular to the face of the wood when making the tenons. There are close 50 M&T joints in that swing and they all came out fine.

The trick is developing a simple repeatable procedure, being picky during setup, use the developed procedure without any variances and spot check your progress as you go. Things do change while in use, sadly.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Just noticed this thread is from 2009.
    True. But, Ben's question was from yesterday ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tenons with platform fixturing, straight bits and plunge routers. Always perfect shoulders all in the same plane.

Pat,

What's platform fixturing?

Hand methods are satisfying, if slow. I used Tage Frid's plunge router mortising method for a while and it worked well, then I got a slot mortiser and that was that. I used a dado set on the table saw for the tenons, which were really easy and very accurate once I got a sliding table saw with stops, etc.

Rod, for your shaper tenoning, does your shaper have a sliding table, or do you use a miter gauge in the groove?
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 05-14-2013 at 1:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to a video I made of mortising legs for an end table. There are a couple of more videos on my channel about mortising, as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeiIh...SDBO7w&index=7

Yes, first by hand. Add more technology. Take your time to be very confident with layout and marking, then get a Festool Domino or Domino XL. Don't hurry early steps.

Leigh FMT Pro. Real pricey, but totally repeatable and very precise. A luxury, for sure, but sweet!!!
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Lately I have made tenons with a dozuki saw and chisel. Under cut and chop downwards.. I have been doing it because its fun .. not faster or cleaner.. Just more fun ..

Basically like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3vhs4hFoLag

Dennis,

When I started doing them I used what I had and what I thought was the best way. I went to Big Lots and got a cheap bench top drill press. Already had the table saw & chisels. For years I used this setup and made a ton of furniture. Mark out the area, drill the holes and clean up with the chisel. Made the tennons on the TS and did some light cleanup = very good quality. The first thing I made this way was a wine rack with 28 M&Ts. After that, I could knock them out very quick.

I have since moved up to a bench top mortiser that I pick up off Craigslist cheap. That's even better.

I wonder if Dennis ever finished his library table, and if so, where are the pictures?