Thread: Would I see major improvement between standard bag 1.5 griz dc vs. 2hp oneida Gorilla

Would I see major improvement between standard bag 1.5 griz dc vs. 2hp oneida Gorilla

wondering how much performace improvement I would see. Just seems up here in colorado the griz doesn't have a LOT of suction. Can pick up a gorilla for decent price.

I upgraded from a JDS (canister filtered) to a 2hp Oneida about a year ago and noticed a big difference.

There is more suction without a doubt but the JDS wasn't underperforming because it was only ever running on one machine at a time.

The difference to me is that the amount of dust into the filter is dramatically reduced. This lets me go a lot longer before I need to clean the filter. With the JDS, too much dust would go up into the canister and clog it (reducing suction). I'm also convinced that some of the larger chips hitting on the filter material put extra wear on it and caused it to leak more fine particles that it normally would.

With the cyclone, the vast majority of the fines and all of the larger stuff is captured before it gets to the filter.

Craig

In the world of dust collection, it's not really about HP.....it's about the size of the impeller that makes the difference.

A 2HP motor spinning a 12" impeller at 3250 RPM is going to get you about 650 CFM of real usable air flow.
    A 50HP motor spinning a 12" at 3250 RPM impeller is going to get you about 650 CFM of real usable air flow.

Up that to a 13" impeller or a 15" impeller and you will really start getting the air flow!!! I'm running a 13.5" impeller and at the end of 4 turns in 6" S&D pipe and 75' of piping, I'm still getting 1,050 CFM at my tablesaw.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

As someone who really dislikes my Oneida SDG...I give it kudo's for 1.) great construction (built really well), and 2.) the air it moves. The impeller is a 14.25" backward swept design that moves an amazing amount air. Don't ask about the part I don't like...just leads to arguments......but you will notice a difference from the unit you're using, and if you get a really fair price, I'd say go for it.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

lol, you are talking about the Super Dust Gorilla on Craigslist. Be careful as it is not the value you think it is. http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/1103603178.html
    1. His original purchase price would have been in the neighborhood of 895.00. Plus wireless remote, duct work and shipping. "Good quality" used machines typically carry 50% to 75% of their original value but I wouldn't offer more than 1/4 original value for used duct work.
    2. The machine is not operational - therefore, you have no way of knowing the machine works and/or if there are any filter leaks
    3. Not under warranty
    4. Possible replacement costs, if necessary. A filter, for example, would run +/- $200
    5. His duct work (single drop with three blast gates) may not be compatible with your setup
    I contacted this guy - in hopes of working a deal. His story is (and this comes from an email from him and it is a direct quote) "...it has only been used in my home shop in the garage and not very much at that. It is wired for 220v and has two remote on/off switches. I would send you a pic but I only decided to sell it after I dismantled it so it is in pieces in the garage. My house is up for sale and I was originally going to keep it but decided against it considering the size and weight since we are going to move out of state..."

For the entire setup, assuming you could re-use the ductwork, is only worth about $800.00 - tops. I live in Denver, so there was no way I would drive to Ft Collins only to save a few bucks on a machine that may not even work. This guy actually has the machine priced at about what he has in it... Good luck

Griz vs Oneida

I switched from an older Griz type that duscharged to two "hula hoops" that I installed high efficience filters on , I went to a 3 hp super gorilla and noted a large change in the system and the lower noise level.
    Uneina perpole are great to work with an others here on the sit got me started with the parts being impeller 15" housing and motor.
    Its a great up grade I really like mine
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Hargis View Post
    Don't ask about the part I don't like...just leads to arguments.......
    Ok, now I'm just curious

I'm in at courtside too

When's tip off time?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Ok, now I'm just curious
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blackburn View Post
    I'm in at courtside too

When's tip off time?
    Fred has obviously had an experience that many of us have now and again. Some folks won't let a Griz product in their shop. I personally have never gotten anything but grief from Delta. We all have our stories. Fred has stated that his will cause a ruckus. If he wants to let someone know, the PM service is available ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had a DC similar to yours with upgraded filter bags. It worked fine here in the elevation hooked to one machine at a time. With my ducting, it just didn't have enough suction to pull from my TS 40' away ( duct wise).

I purchased a 2 HP SDG with concerns it wouldn't be enough, since some calcs called out for a 5 HP unit with the higher altitude. I am satisifed with it and have alot less dust to pick up from the shop floor. Hardly any left on the tools. In retrospect, a 3 HP unit may have been better, but also more $$ and louder. It can handle 2 machines at a time.

Proper duct design will also play a role in the performance as well.

So yes, you will notice a significant difference at this altitude with proper duct design. I am at ~6800'AMSL. You are probably around 5400'AMSL.

You could also check out the V3000 series cyclones as well. For ducting, there are some local vendors, but you have to be a contractor to purchase thru them.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Fred has obviously had an experience that many of us have now and again. Some folks won't let a Griz product in their shop. I personally have never gotten anything but grief from Delta. We all have our stories. Fred has stated that his will cause a ruckus. If he wants to let someone know, the PM service is available ;-)

Of course you are correct Glenn, but there is nothing wrong with a little good natured prodding. Fred can respond or not, but because he brought it up, not me, he opened the subject up. I mearly opened the avenue for a vent, if he wanted to take it. His call though.

My personal take on Onieda is biased by overall great service and products, however, I tried to get them to plan my ducting, and the first salesman that I talked too was completely lost. The next 6 or 7 where great though. They did loose the planning fee that I was willing to pay because of that one incompetant boob. Nobody is perfect I guess.