Thread: Q; on DC duct HEIGHT?

Q; on DC duct HEIGHT?

As you can see from the pics in this thread www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=108682,
    my DC run will start at the middle of the window. Most everyone runs the ducting to the ceiling and then to where they need it. I am wondering if I should run the duct to the ceiling first, or could I drop down to the floor and go that way? If I can arrange things so that all the ducting will be on the pictured wall, I am wondering if it makes a difference WHERE the vertical rises are?

The OH door hardware precludes any drops in half of the garage (sorry, SHOP!), so I plan to try to keep most of the ducting along the wall you see. I still need to figure out how to deal with the TS, as well as the CMS that is used on the table under the red tool box in the foreground. I could drop a 4"max pipe between the OH doors for the TS. There is only about 5" between the OH door tracks.

I guess what I am asking is; Does it matter where the vertical rise is for the DC? If I use my Delta single stage DC for the TS, I could keep the cyclone ducting along the one wall.

Suggestions?

note: I'm still arranging things, so the only thing that HAS to be where it is is the DC.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 04-04-2009 at 8:03 AM. Reason: added note

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    If I use my Delta single stage DC for the TS, I could keep the cyclone ducting along the one wall.
    Not really an answer on your rise location question but, I run a single stage Delta for the jointer and planer and the cyclone along one wall for TS, RT and BS. I rise top the cyclone at an angle from the lower fixtures.

Here's a partial picture. I only run one tool at a time but I keep a second gate open as the collection performance is better. I ran it with only the lower RT gate open and bent the hinges on the door; it was trying to suck it in! I have more holes for return air in that door now ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Not really an answer on your rise location question but, I run a single stage Delta for the jointer and planer and the cyclone along one wall for TS, RT and BS.
    Have you upgraded the bag(s) on the Delta? It collects the stuff but redistributes the fines back into the air. I might keep it to do as you are doing (only for the TS) but I need to get better filtration first. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a bigger cyclone somewhat but it would make ducting the cyclone a lot easier.

Got a chuckle over the "bent the hinges on the door" comment. Sounds like the 0440 will do fine once I ever get it hooked up. The only reason I see to go up high with the ducting is to get it over to the other side of the room; maybe won't have to do that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Have you upgraded the bag(s) on the Delta? It collects the stuff but redistributes the fines back into the air. I might keep it to do as you are doing (only for the TS) but I need to get better filtration first. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a bigger cyclone somewhat but it would make ducting the cyclone a lot easier.

Got a chuckle over the "bent the hinges on the door" comment. Sounds like the 0440 will do fine once I ever get it hooked up. The only reason I see to go up high with the ducting is to get it over to the other side of the room; maybe won't have to do that.
    Duh, I shoulda mentioned that. American Fabric Filter will make you one whatever size you want. Mine was sized for the DC's old location or it would be even larger. As you can see, my DC is also my sled storage device ;-)

As to ducting high to get across the room; on the cyclone I made provisions for a Wye that will take me up over the door rails and across the ceiling for futures. With plastic pipe, retrofitting is pretty easy if you plan for possibilities ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler