Thread: Grizzly G1029Z vs Shop Fox W1666

Grizzly G1029Z vs Shop Fox W1666

Anyone have experience with the Shop Fox W1666 Dust Collector? I am comparing it to the Grizzly G1029Z. The Grizzly has been highly rated, but the Shop Fox seems to have nearly identical specs and is cheaper by $100. The only real difference that I can see is the Grizzly is sourced from Taiwan and the Shop Fox from China. The Grizzly comes with a 2.5 micron bag while the Shop Fox comes with a 30 micron, I would be upgrading either to a cannister so this doesn't matter to me. Anyone have the Shop Fox W1666 that could comment on its performance?

Grizzly G1029Z Price $374
    Motor size: 2 HP, 220V, Single-phase, 3,450 RPM
    Motor Amp draw: 220V - 12A
    6" Inlet with a removable "Y" fitting with two 4" openings
    Impeller: Balanced steel, radial fin 12"
    Air suction capacity: Approx. 1,550 CFM
    Static pressure: 11"
    Standard bag filtration: 2.5 Micron
    1 year Warranty

Shop Fox W1666 Price $274
    Motor size: 2 HP, 220V, Single-phase, 3,450 RPM
    Motor Amp draw: 220V - 12A
    6" Inlet with a removable "Y" fitting with two 4" openings
    Impeller: Balanced steel, radial fin 12"
    Air suction capacity: Approx. 1,550 CFM
    Static pressure: 12.3"
    Standard bag filtration: 30 Micron
    2 year Warranty

Chirp, chirp....

I would think that the performance would be nearly identical with exception to the filter bags. The dealer I purchased my SF TS from said they worked exceptionally well. No reported problems.

If you are going to upgrade to a cannister, save yourself the $$. The $100 difference is probably just in the bags. When I went from 30 micron to .5 micron, it cost $160 for the bags.

You can also check old issues of Wood magazine, I beleive they did reviews of these a while back.

The March 2008 issue of Wood magazine had an excellent review article on dust collectors that included these two you are looking at. You can find it at
    http://www.deltaportercable.com/uploads/PCD/Documents/News/182DustCollectors.pdf
    The Grizzly did well as did the Penn State DC2000B and Delta 50-760. I ended up with the Delta 50-760 and really like it, especially considering they had a rebate at the time so it only cost me $250. One consideration I gave much weight to was the micron size rating of the bag. I don't think I would want anything larger than 1 micron. If you plan to install an aftermarket canister filter on your collector, this would not be a consideration for you.