Thread: pulling wire thru conduit

pulling wire thru conduit

Thought I'd post yet another question.
    The pics of what I'm planning are here: www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=108682
    (you have to scroll down to post #18, pics 2 and 3)

Q: Do I install most of the conduit and then try to pull wires or should I pull as I go? Here's what I am thinking; install the horizontal runs from above the panel box to the far corner, around the corner to the far window drop. I would then pull wire from the left end to the drop at the right of the far window, leaving enough at the origin end to drop and connect everything into the panel. I could do the other drops afterward as they will be mostly pigtailed in the junction boxes. Is there something I'm missing or a better way?
    Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 04-04-2009 at 2:47 PM. Reason: added scoll instructions

Rick,
    I have done it both ways. The thing that may be a problem is if you are using PVC conduit, getting the glue on the wire could be a problem. In most case when using plastic conduit I assemble the conduit, glue it and let it set until the glue is dry then pull the wires. I have a tendency to use over sized conduit so the pulling is easier and use the wire lube if the pulling is hard to do.
    If I am not mistaken there is a maximum number of bends allowed in conduit so if you stick to code, pulling the wire should not be much of a problem. I use a shop vacuum to suck a string with a tissue (or something that fits snugly in the conduit) fastened to it through the conduit then use the string to bring the pulling rope to me. I don't cut my wire prior to pulling because I don't have a wire stretcher . If you cut your wire ahead of pulling always add a few feet to account for measuring errors. My wires are on spools (most of the time) that are mounted on something that allows the number of wires I need to be fed into the conduit smoothly. It is better if you have help but I do most of my pulling by my self. I also have a home made choke thingy that brings all of the wires into a small bundle prior to entering the conduit.
    I think I read recently that you are supposed to have at least 6 inches of wire remaining in the junction boxes after your fixtures are connected.
    David B

Using EMT 3/4". Only have one 90 bend in the corner for the horizontals for which I got the preformed elbows.

Should be an easy job, but of course if you are like me the gremlins are hiding and waiting to attack.
    David B

Rick...In the case of PVC conduit...I'd do as David suggests....install it...glue.....give it a lot of time to dry and then pull the wire. The plastic coating on most wires is PVC IIRC and you could glue the wire to the conduit.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

From what I read when I was researching my electrical setup, you generally install all your conduit first, then pull the wires after. I think the NEC even specifies this so as to avoid any damage to the wires from conduit assembly. You're going to have many junction boxes along your horizontal run, so you won't have any one pull that's very long. If needed, you can always use a fish tape to pull the wires through. I only needed it for one of my pulls around a 90 degree bend. Your wires should extend 8 inches beyond the front of the junction boxes when you make your wire nut or outlet connections.

Per 2005 NEC, section 300.18 requires a raceway (conduit is one type) to be installed complete between outlet,junction or pull points prior to pulling conductors.

A conduit run is limited to 360° between pull points & that does include offsets, so for example: 4- 90° bends were in the run & 2 offsets were done, it would not comply w/ code.

Rick,

You are using 3/4" EMT. I would install all my boxes and run all my EMT, and then I would pull the wire.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Thanks All. I have the conduit and boxes installed on the first wall. Will get back to the next wall probably Monday. I don't see any problem installing all the horizontal conduit and boxes and then pulling the wire. Only have one bend, everything else is horizontal and straight. The drops are only about five feet so they'll be easy.

10. TBH, depending on your run, you'll probably be able to push most if not all of it. Tape your wires together, leaving one 3 inches long, fold it over to make a blunt end and tape it to the rest. The shove it in, do NOT do this for the last chunk that goes to the panel, although I have pushed from the panel before.