Thread: This could be addicting...but worth every penny.

This could be addicting...but worth every penny.

Hello,

(Ok - if you're thinking Festool - well, yeah having bought a TS55EQ last summer, I admit the joy of using something that quaility is addicting.)

But -

Yesterday - my wife and I stopped into Harville Hardware.
    They had their 20% off bag sale going on.
    That's where anything you can stuff at least halfway in the bag is 20% off.

I tried the jointer, compressor, 17" bandsaw and a couple of drill presses, but no go.

I did manage to get a Freud Glue Line rip blade in the bag - $64 and change minus 20% for the red one.

I asked the sales guy if Starrett was included in the sale & he said "Sure!".

So - now I'm the new owner of a Starrett C11H-12-4R, 12" square.
    $79 and change minus 20%.
    Not a great gloat worthy screaming deal, but a decent price for one that I could take home right away.

O-MG!!!
    Talk about a sweet couple of pieces of metal!

Actually, being a Smith and Wesson fan, I should have known that well machined metal is simply a joy to hold and admire.

This thing however is in a class all by itself.
    When I set the sliding rule flush with the base on a dead flat hard surface, you can't feel even the slightest indication of there being two pieces of metal. Nada. Zip.Zilch.

I'm a very happy camper. Well - aside from the fact that I'm really hooked on Starrett...man is their stuff $$$..
    Worth it though since my great grandkids will probably end up with whatever I buy.

First order of business today is going to be checking all the equipment for true square.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have picked up a Mitatoyo set and some other Starrets over the years and they do make a difference in your work. Enjoy and congradulations.

Blog Entries
    I am still using my Starrett combination square that I purchased in 1970 during the first year of my apprenticeship. I also have my father's Brown & Sharpe that he purchased before the war ( the BIG war.. as in WWII). Both are as accurate as I will ever require in woodworking. I took mine to work one day and measured it for squareness. It measured within .0004 of square!! Yes, that is 4 ten thousandths of an inch.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"