Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lowboy: Progress Pics

Beautiful work Jim.
    And now that it's in the record books what's next on the agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Beautiful work Jim.
    And now that it's in the record books what's next on the agenda?
    Thanks Gary!!
    Right now Im actually researching plans for a Butler Table. Ive always like them and we could use a new coffee table. I also have started on a Federal Tilt Top table. I got the column turned already since that was to me the most challenging part. I'll post a few pics later on that one.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    We'll have to start a "Walnut Boys" club here at SMC!!
    Would that mean we are the "dark horses" of the group???

I didn't log my hours either, but just trying to think thru it..... It took me 14 weeks, and I am going to guess that most weeks I put in 10-12 hours, if not a bit more. I usually worked on it 2-3 evenings during the week, but only for a couple hours at most. Most of the work was on weekends, and I missed a couple of those with other things going on, and I turkey hunted a little. Probably between 125 - 150 would be a good guess. But, I didn't have to carve cabriole legs, do templates, and two or three mockups. That had to take a lot of time.

Blog Entries
    That is one fine piece of furniture, Jim! Outstanding!!!

Well Done!!!

Beautiful outcome, Jim. I did one of those step by steps once. A lot of work to do it on top of a lot of work on the project as I am sure John K. found out. At this point I shoot for just the lot of work in the project.

Excellent piece...

Sarge..

hey Jim,
    those are some very sexy cabriolet legs on that piece but is that a knot or pitch pocket on the flat just above the leg?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Quote Originally Posted by sean m. titmas View Post
    hey Jim,
    those are some very sexy cabriolet legs on that piece but is that a knot or pitch pocket on the flat just above the leg?
    Pitch pocket, I did some repair work to it and it kind of blends in now. You can see it but it doesnt stick out of anything so I left it. There is another one in the top although alot smaller. This was all free wood so I just worked with what I had. To me it all lends to the character or at least thats what were supposed to say right??

Thanks for all the kind words guys, its nice to hear support form your fellow peers. It was a very rewarding project. I was watching some TV last night and kept losing the plot of the show because I was staring at this thing sitting in my living room finally. It will eventually go to the bedroom but for now its out here where I can admire it from the couch!!

The lowboy turned out spectacularly, Jim. It's a beautiful piece and one you should be immensely proud of..I know I would be.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    The lowboy turned out spectacularly, Jim. It's a beautiful piece and one you should be immensely proud of..I know I would be.
    Dang Cody thanks!! I was just looking at the rocking chair you posted thinking, "man I wish I could build that!"

[/QUOTE]It was a very rewarding project. I was watching some TV last night and kept losing the plot of the show because I was staring at this thing sitting in my living room finally. It will eventually go to the bedroom but for now its out here where I can admire it from the couch!![/QUOTE]

Jim, Outstanding job! Your words sum up the rewards of this great hobby. I've found myself staring at a few of my pieces over the years. Also the craftsmanship you and John Keeton did on his Hutch. Makes me try and push my work to a higher level. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

I would like to say thanks to a couple of people here at SMC who helped me a great deal with this project. I thought it well worth mentioning.
    First of all thanks to Mike Holden and everyone else who helped me out with the design of the legs. I know it took me a number of tries before I got a nice pattern I was happy with. You guys steered me in the right direction for that.
    Also Mike Henderson for his great tutorial on fan carving and also answering my messages with question after question.
    Wow I feel like this could be an acceptance speech for an emmy or something but it really means alot to me that so many people here was so willing to help each other out.
    LONG LIVE THE CREEK!!

Jim,
    Very nicely done!

As re: the gouge slips - nobody will notice them.....if YOU dont point them out!

Also, look closely at the carving in museum pieces, there are many "mistakes" and are not completely symmetrical -- they are hand carved.

Show this piece off with pride (well deserved), and NEVER point out the errors.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Thanks Mike, that means alot coming from you!!
    I will keep the "mistakes" to myself in the future too!!

More pics after rubout

Well guys heres the lowboy after spending sometime rubbing it out yesterday. Took me a long time, I had to keep resting the hand due to the carpal tunnel crap Im going through right now but I got it done. I kinda like the sheen now. Still a little shiney but alot better than before. I think these pics show off the grain better too.
    Comments and critiques always welcome!!

Thanks,

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images