Thread: Connecting a Vac to My PC ROS?

Connecting a Vac to My PC ROS?

I received a Porter Cable random orbit sander for Christmas. It's a nice tool and I like it a lot. But I can't seem to figure out how to connect it to my shop vac.

I have a RIDGID vac. If I remove the round dust filter that came with the ROS, the adapter looks like it will accept many different sizes of vac attachments. I have many different sizes of vac attachments. None of them fit! I asked the folks at Woodcraft and Rockler. They couldn't find anything that fit either.

If I pull the plastic attachment out of my vac hose, I can jam the hose onto the ROS attachment. This works, but it's a clunky solution.

Anyone know how to correctly attach a PC ROS to a shop vac?

Thanks!

I cut a slice thru the center of this adapter about a 1/2" deep in order to slip over the ridge on the sander. Then duct tape to hold it on. I never have had it off; must be 5 or more years now.

Last edited by Joe Scharle; 04-06-2009 at 8:43 AM.

I am running 3 different sanders (Porter Cable, Dewalt & Bosch) and I use the same trick on all of them.

If you have a hose end that will fit loosely inside of the sander exhaust hole all you have to do is make several wraps of duct tape around the hose end to make it fit snug in the sander. I do this all the time for several of my shop vac to tool connections. I think I even have one of my Dust Deputy connnections done that way.

A Fein (or a Festool...) end fits nicely over the output of a PC333. I don't know if they changed things for the newer ones.

Pat:

One of the things I regularly look for at the curb on garbage day are upright vacuums. Most new vac's have a hose and hand tools. I take the hose and the hand tools and use them to attach my shop vac to things.

The first hose I found I was able to cut the fitting so that it slipped over the round fitting on my PC 333 and PC 1/4 sheet sanders. The other end fit over the fitting PC supplied to connect the plastic "dust drum". I did hae to wrap a little electricians tape around the end to fit snugly in the shop vac hose. I must admit to not owning any duct tape

The next hose I was able to adapt to the dust port on my Kreg K-3 setup.

I picked up some 2" hoses from a dead Craftsman Shop vac that extended my Ridgid hose another 8 feet using a $2 adapter from HD.

Be creative . . .

Cheers

Jim

Pat - I found this set several years ago when I bought my PC ROS. Seems it was about $40 and works extremely well. The small end fits the dust outlet and the big end fits my FEIN vacuum perfectly. Tiny hose but it seems to do the job.

Have fun with your project.
    Doug

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...px?Prod1=13279

Pat:

I bought an adaptor at HD that fits nicely on the end of the sander - with a little bit of duct tape for a gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by doug faist View Post
    Pat - I found this set several years ago when I bought my PC ROS. Seems it was about $40 and works extremely well. The small end fits the dust outlet and the big end fits my FEIN vacuum perfectly. Tiny hose but it seems to do the job.

Have fun with your project.
    Doug

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...px?Prod1=13279
    +1. The same hose also works on my PC biscuit jointer and some other tools I have, too.

What you'll need is Porter Cable p/n 39332 (10' dust hose, 1" inlet) and probably the p/n 39335 if your Rigid has the larger hose ........ they're both in the 73333 kit that Phil linked to. Amazon has the kit for about $30. Works well imho and it fits other PC tools (belt sanders, saws).

Thanks for the help, guys.

I think I'm going to pick up that dust collection kit. I also have a PC biscuit joiner where it would be applicable. And I need a new hose anyway. Seems like a no brainer!

I have a porter cable ROS, I bought a 6 foot length of 1.25 inch shop vac hose that has a 1.25 outlet with 2.5 inlet, hooks right up to my shop vac, I got it at the BORG where they sell the shop vac atachments, fits sander perfect and the 1.25" hose is much easier to deal with on sander then 2.5"