Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First design done using Sketchup...what do you think?

First design done using Sketchup...what do you think?

I modeled this after a desk found in the readers gallery of Fine Woodworking a couple years back...turned it into a corner desk.
    I think I am happy with it...though I haven't fully figured out the joinery between the side panels and the top....I need them to be removable so that I can get it through doors (and out of my shop, a mistake I swore I would never make...again!)

Your criticism and thoughts would be welcome, Thanks!
    (p.s. The chair and the PC came from the online gallery)

Well you're light years ahead of me with that dang blame program. I dont know why but me and sketchup just dont get along but me and my pencil and paper still do!!

Good job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

See all those seams in the area-fill? You can get rid of them. Using the Select tool, right-click on an area that you want to edit. You should get a floating menu with Entity Info at the top and Texture at the bottom. Go down to Texture, which will give you a submenu. Click on Position. You should now see a plane of the texture tiles, with some handles. Using those you can make the tiles bigger, move the whole plane sideways, and rotate the whole plane. This allows you to get rid of those seams in your drawing. It also allows you to get the grain direction going the way you want.

Ed, like Jim, I've never been able to get the hang of SketchUp. My pencil and paper don't give me fits, so I stick with them. At least for now. I really need to get the time to work with it more.

As for attaching the short side to the long piece, I'd use pocket holes in the long table top to secure to the shorter one. And then use screws through the long tables legs into the shorter units frame. The holes will face towards the wall so you won't see them. And you can always plug them with some button caps that you can pop off to get at the screws.

Jaime, I thought those were some weird book-matched panels .

Be well,

Doc

Very nice work.

My one question on the design is if you feel there is going to be enough room for the individual working at the computer to feel comfortable?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You won't be able to open the drawers while you're sitting there....

Carl

Nice drawing.

This is just to my novice eye:

The proportions feel a little off. The legs feel a little thin, and the return seems cramped and a bit wide. Can you make the drawer shallower?

Also, is there an apron or is the top just supported on the legs? A top apron will improve the long term stability of the base and the top.

I don't mean to be critical. I like the flared tops and the design looks like it'll be beautiful regardless! Good luck!
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 04-06-2009 at 1:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    The legs and stretcher look too thin to me (just giving an honest opinion here). The overall design rocks but, like Jim, I feel the occupant will be too confined. If you can afford to push that drawer area to the right a foot or so (when facing the drawers) there will be less knee banging.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jamie,
    I tried what you suggested but when I right click and select entity info I don't get a option titled texture. In the floating menu for the fill tool I see a checkerboard that I thought might have something to do with getting rid of the paneling affect but I haven't figured out how it works yet.

I moved the side table out 18", clearly this will provide more room
    for the user but while it improved the working space I'm not sure it improved the overall proportions. I'm attaching for additional critique (which is very welcome).

longer desk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ed mirzay View Post
    Jamie,
    I tried what you suggested but when I right click and select entity info I don't get a option titled texture. In the floating menu for the fill tool I see a checkerboard that I thought might have something to do with getting rid of the paneling affect but I haven't figured out how it works yet.
    Re read my instructions a little slower. The top item on that floating menu says "entity info". I was just telling you that to identify the menu. The bottom item in that floating menu is "Texture". That's where you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Re read my instructions a little slower. The top item on that floating menu says "entity info". I was just telling you that to identify the menu. The bottom item in that floating menu is "Texture". That's where you want to go.
    Maybe it's a version issue? I don't have the Texture option either, but I'm using an older version (6.4.112).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schwake View Post
    Maybe it's a version issue? I don't have the Texture option either, but I'm using an older version (6.4.112).
    That's exactly the version I'm looking at: 6.4.112. Mine is the Pro version -- that is, I bought it. Mine has the texture entry. I haven't played with the freeware version much, but my impression is that they played around with menus and icons and such. Perhaps it is available somewhere on your version, just with some different way of getting there. You might try hitting the Help menu and searching with "texture".

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    That's exactly the version I'm looking at: 6.4.112. Mine is the Pro version -- that is, I bought it. Mine has the texture entry. I haven't played with the freeware version much, but my impression is that they played around with menus and icons and such. Perhaps it is available somewhere on your version, just with some different way of getting there. You might try hitting the Help menu and searching with "texture".
    I'm not sure if there's any other way to do it, but here's how it works for me...

When you right-click on a face entity, you may or may not see the "Texture" sub-menu. If you do not, you should see an entry in the menu for "Make Unique Texture". Click it, then click "Create Texture" in the window that is displayed. Now when you right click the face entity, you should see the "Texture" sub-menu. Follow the rest of Jamie's instructions.

Note that this will not work unless you've right-clicked on a FACE entity. It won't work on a component, group, etc.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    Note that this will not work unless you've right-clicked on a FACE entity. It won't work on a component, group, etc.

Paul
    Thanks, that was it. After I exploded from the group & component, the Texture menu appeared.