Thread: Question about 16 gauge nailers

Question about 16 gauge nailers

Hello,

I still want to buy a compressor and nailer kit, and I’m interested in the Porter-Cable kit that Home Depot sells that has the 16 gauge finish nailer and the 18 gauge brad nailer.

I’ve read some postings that suggest that a 16 gauge nailer isn’t sufficient for installing trim and that you need a 15 gauge nailer, but I’ve read others that say that a 16 gauge nailer is fine for trim.

I’m planning on installing wainscoting and I’m planning on installing “cap” molding on top of it. (What I call “cap” molding is the molding that sits on top of the wainscoting). Can I do this with a 16 gauge nailer?

I may also need to install base molding along the floor. Can I do this with a 16 gauge nailer?

This wainscoting and cap molding and base molding will be installed over standard interior sheetrock.

I’d like to get this Porter-Cable kit, but if you all tell me that a 16 gauge nailer won’t do the job, then I’ll have to keep looking.

Thanks,
    Louis

My 16 gauge seems to work fine for this. I am remodeling a bathroom and all my trim has been hung with my 16 gauge nailer. Seems to be holding just fine. I guess time will tell but right now it is nice and tight and doesn't seem to going anywhere. I saw somebody mention on here they use Power Grab adhesive along with a 16 gauge nailer but I haven't tried that yet or had a reason to.

You'll be fine. Before I purchased my 16g finish nailer, I had to use my 18g brad gun to install some WC. That was 4 years ago and no problems.(I did add some Liquid nail too)

16g will suit you just fine.

A 16ga nailer should be fine for that application. I have trimmed many houses with a 16ga Paslode. The only thing that a 16ga seems too light for is hanging doors which I would not recommend. I think the Paslode gun is a lot better than the porter-cable, but for occasional use it would be fine. I have only used the older model porter-cable. I try to use fasteners that penetrate the studs at least an inch for casing and base. The Paslode shoots up to 2 1/2" so it has never been a problem.

nailers

I do finish trim for a living. The 16 gauge is fine and most of mine is done with the brad nailer (18g). That's what it's for. My 15g is to hang doors with and window jambs. If you are doing 1x4 casings then I can see using the heavier nailer, but otherwise the brad nailer is the way to go. The idea is smaller hole to hide the filler when finished. I use a combination of 5/8, 1 1/4 and 2" brads depending on where I'm shooting. Russ

Blog Entries
    I have had no problems running a 16ga.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A 16ga will be fine for what you want to do. If yr installing a lot of trim around yr house, it'll be fine. But if you want to do closets or heavier trim, a 15ga is the way to go.

Personally, I think the 18ga will be fine on your project - *** provided it shoots up to 2 1/2" ***. A lot the brad nailers that PC puts in their kits go up to 1 1/4, which really makes that tool useless.

If it were me, I'd steer clear of the pancake compressors from PC. I have one, and it's just a beast: loud and unwieldy. Scares my kids.

If I had to do it again, I'd get a Makita hottog oiled compressor. 3x as quiet as the PC, and has a convenient handle. Gets high ratings across the board. Then I'd get an 18ga nailer for your project. If you need something heavier, you can then buy a 15ga when the time arises. I think you'll be happier in the long term that way.