Thread: Show me your shop-made TS fence mod

Show me your shop-made TS fence mod

I'm planning on replacing the UHMW faces on my PM66 Accu-fence with phenolic ply faces and spanning the 2 faces across the top of the fence with another piece dado-ed out for a T-track for holddowns. So essentially an inverted U shape over top of the fence. I've got the phenolic ply & T-track but before I get to cutting anything, maybe somebody has some other features on their's that I might want to include? So - got a TS fence modification that you'd like to share?

TIA
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I'm planning on replacing the UHMW faces on my PM66 Accu-fence with phenolic ply faces and spanning the 2 faces across the top of the fence with another piece dado-ed out for a T-track for holddowns. So essentially an inverted U shape over top of the fence. I've got the phenolic ply & T-track but before I get to cutting anything, maybe somebody has some other features on their's that I might want to include? So - got a TS fence modification that you'd like to share?

TIA

Can't offer up any advice but just wondering, are you basing this on the Shopnotes article that appeared in issue 103? I have been eyeing that one and thinking I might make something similar. Make sure you post the results when you are done.

Thanks

Never thought my Biesemeyer needed improvement.

How’s the hip?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce
    Went back to the doc Thursday and I'm still on the walker and more phys therapy for another 2 weeks but I'm supposed to start putting more weight on it when I do walk. Everything is still pretty sore but today was the first day that I managed to go all day without applying ice packs to knock the swelling down so that's a bit of a milestone.

I also ordered the same Woodhaven router fence kit you have but I'm interested in attaching the brackets when in use via fixture knobs vs just clamping. So I wanted something I could put some threaded inserts or T-nuts into. Plus the UHMW faces aren't entirely what I would call flat anyway so I think I can/should improve that at the same time.

Lewis
    I dont get Shopnotes but will try googling for that issue.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug, I’m glad to hear that you are making positive progress. I hobbled around with a walker for 6½ weeks when I had some foot surgery a few years ago. It wasn’t much fun, so I feel for ya.

I’m looking forward to what you come up with on the Bies modification. I don’t use the Woodhaven that often so I don’t mind using the quick clamps.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Bruce
    Went back to the doc Thursday and I'm still on the walker and more phys therapy for another 2 weeks but I'm supposed to start putting more weight on it when I do walk. Everything is still pretty sore but today was the first day that I managed to go all day without applying ice packs to knock the swelling down so that's a bit of a milestone.

I also ordered the same Woodhaven router fence kit you have but I'm interested in attaching the brackets when in use via fixture knobs vs just clamping. So I wanted something I could put some threaded inserts or T-nuts into. Plus the UHMW faces aren't entirely what I would call flat anyway so I think I can/should improve that at the same time.

Lewis
    I dont get Shopnotes but will try googling for that issue.
    Hi Doug; I think I am doing something similar with my fence. If I gather correctly you want to attach a fence for you router to your ts fence. I also am planning this (as soon as I'm done spending my free time with taxes).

My Ts fence, a jet exacta 2, is made of the same uhmw stuff as yours but I assumed I could just epoxy threaded inserts into it.

Why do you think this won't work?

Keith
    I'm not sure what the Jet faces are like but the PM ones are roughly 1/2" thick. That stuff is pretty soft and distorts pretty easily. I've used it for miter slot jig runners and had 1/8 of a screw turn make the difference between sliding in the slot and bulging out where it wont slide. I've known for a long time that the faces aren't as flat as they could be. I've seen this mentioned on a number of forums as new PM66 owners were trying to set their saws up. Some of that could just be how tight the individual bolts are along it's length. Not that 2 attaching points would be putting all that much stress on it, but I wouldn't trust it for holding threads. I just figured while I was doing a fairly major TS overhaul with QG extension and supporting cabinet that I'd upgrade the fence faces at the same time while also getting something that holds screws better anyway. If you've just got a thin layer of UHMW over top of something more solid, that's a different story.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries

Here's what I did.

I have magnetic feather boards adn love using them on my fence when ripping. Here is the cover I made for my Beismeyer fence.
    I've also made an attachement for the fence, a cut off stop for cutting repetative lengths.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute