Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recommend online source for T8 lights?

Anyone recommend online source for T8 lights?

Could anyone recommend an online source for 4ft T8 light fixtures. I need forty (40) 4ft double bulb fixtures for the new shop. I wasnt able to find any recommendations using the search feature on here. Thank you.

Online is gonna be tough. Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, etc... should carry T-8 4 footers by the gross though...

I don't think it would be cost effective to buy shop light fixtures online... I could be wrong though.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I agree with David...I couldn't find anything reasonable in the searches I did on line for the fixtures. I ended up with the Lithuania units from Home Depot. If you need that many, may I suggest using the 8' units with 4 4' bulbs? It would save you about $7.00 per 2 4' units.
    Now the bulbs are a different matter. I did find my bulbs online a LOT cheaper. Try this place. http://www.businesslights.com/32w-50...e25-p-437.html I believe these are the ones I got. Good prices, decent shipping, and everything made it here in one piece.
    How big is the shop? I'm set up for 28 bulbs in my 20 X 24 shop and it is plenty bright. In fact, I need 3 more 4' fixtures to have all 28 bulbs up and running. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I purchased 50+ GE ones from Grainger. They had the CRI and lamp temperature I was looking for.

Thanks, guys. Jim, the shop is 24x40 with 10ft ceilings. My plan was to run 5 rows, with 8 four foot fixtures each. I'm pretty sold on the 38watt electronic ballasts Ive been reading about on here. Electricity is not an issue, as there is 400 amp dedicated service installed. The walls are not finished yet, but im thinking they will wind up being white in color. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Online is gonna be tough. Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, etc... should carry T-8 4 footers by the gross though...
    I agree with David as well. You can also check local electrical supply stores for the fixtures and tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    .. If you need that many, may I suggest using the 8' units with 4 4' bulbs? It would save you about $7.00 per 2 4' units.
    Jim's idea for using the 8' units with 4 4' bulbs is what I did as well. I ended up with 32 4' T8 tubes in my 24' x 20' shop area that is half of a 24' x 40' building. My ceiling and walls are now white. BTW - The defusers, protection from broken glass, were required by the local building code. They actually work very well in the space. Once I'm finally moved into the space I may see what the difference is if I take the defusers off.

Last edited by Don Bullock; 04-05-2009 at 10:49 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post

I ended up with 32 4' T8 tubes in my 24' x 20' shop area that is half of a 24' x 40' building.
    If I am understanding you correctly, and if my math is correct, you are suggesting I use 64 T8 4 footers for a 24x40x10 shop??

Personally, I would avoid the fixtures (especially the cheap ones ~$10) from Home Depot and Lowe's. I have purchased two sets fixtures for my basement in the past 8 eight years. (a set being 12 fixtures, therefore I have purchase 24 of them) At $10 each it's getting down right expensive to replace the fixtures before the bulbs burn out. This time (the third time) I'm opting for the Wal-mart ones. They appear to be made differently and by a different company . Hopefully they will last longer. I'll let you know in 3-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Personally, I would avoid the fixtures (especially the cheap ones ~$10) from Home Depot and Lowe's. I have purchased two sets fixtures for my basement in the past 8 eight years. (a set being 12 fixtures, therefore I have purchase 24 of them) At $10 each it's getting down right expensive to replace the fixtures before the bulbs burn out. This time (the third time) I'm opting for the Wal-mart ones. They appear to be made differently and by a different company . Hopefully they will last longer. I'll let you know in 3-5 years.
    I live within walking distance of the local Lowe's (Home Depot is 30 miles away) and I DO go there alot, but I find that much of their stuff is pretty poor quality. I decided to support my local electric supplier for my lighting and wiring needs in my shop, and I think the stuff is better. Actually the wiring, conduit etc, was even slightly less than Lowe's wanted for a lot of it!
    btw, I have seven 8' 4-bulb fixtures in a 21X21 shop with two windows and white walls and ceiling. Very bright.

One thought is to use full spectrum lamps.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rutkowski View Post
    If I am understanding you correctly, and if my math is correct, you are suggesting I use 64 T8 4 footers for a 24x40x10 shop??
    No, if you look at the picture I have 8 8' T8 fixtures. Each fixture has 4 4' tubes. Sorry for the confusion.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Yes, I've heard the 10.00 fixtures are pretty bad. The 4 foot 2 bulb units I got run about 26.00 each, and the 8 foot, 4 bulb units run about 44.00 each. I've not had any real problems, although I may have one ballast that is interfeering with the radio that I need to return. Other times it seems ok. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jason - I bought the 4' T8 lamps for my 34' x 40' shop on-line from www.bulbs.com. They were delivered quickly and with no damage.

I ordered high CRI bulbs (98+) for my workbench and finishing area. They are definitely more expensive, but will give you a more accurate color.

Blog Entries
    I pick up my 85 CRI and 6500k temp at Home Depot in the contractor packs. At $2.50 a lamp this works out better than the best online deal I could find after adding shipping. I use the $27.00 4' two lamp fixtures from Lowe's.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought 36 - 4' T8 5000 K 86 CRI bulbs for my shop a couple of years ago and am very happy with the shipping and quality of the bulbs. If you buy by the case, 25, they're less than $2/each.

http://www.businesslights.com/index.php?cPath=81_337

Wes