Thread: A Couple Simple Shellac ?'s

A Couple Simple Shellac ?'s

Hey all,

Any idea why Rocker sells 8oz of flakes for $18.99 and Woodcraft sells 1lb for $22.99?

The 8oz Rockler is NOT the kit, just the flakes. Woodcraft identifies it's product as dewaxed, but Rockler doesn't mention that.

I've never done anything with shellac but I want to try it out on a small box I am doing. Do you suppose I am better buying something like the Bulls Eye that both Rockler and Woodcraft sell?
    I noticed on the Rockler site it states that I should still cut it 2 parts DA to 5 parts shellac, so I guess that means I can get the 1lb and 2lb cut I am interested in.

What about shelf life? I figure the flakes will last until I mix them into DA, yes?

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks
    fledgling weekend warrior

Blog Entries
    Zinsser's Seal Coat (dewaxed) or their other shellac products have worked very well for me for years. They get a shelf life of over 2 years out of their product where as flakes or buttons get about 6 months after being mixed (somebody correct me if I am wrong about that timespan). I don't know about the solid product life span. Usually you would just mix what you need (and yes, with DNA) for the project at hand. Or save yourself the trouble and pick up some Zinsser's Bulls Eye (check the date on the cans, some stores are really bad about selling old product).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Brad, I'll second Glenn's suggestion about Zinnser's Seal Coat for dewaxed shellac. Since you indicated shellac is something you want to try, a quart can of Seal Coat from a local source would let you try it for less out of pocket expense. BTW, Seal Coat is a 2lb cut in the can. You can dilute it further to get your 1lb cut if you so desire.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

yeah flakes should last years before being mixed.

zinnser claims a year on their mixed stuff in the can, don't know how true that is but the can has a date on it, just get one younger than 6 months.

if you like it and want to buy flakes, shellac.net

If you are experimenting, the Sealcoat will be good and easy to deal with.

I prefer the finish flakes give and I just mix up enough for a project at a time. I tend to apply by hand, and a number of my projects are just shellac. If I was spraying I'd probably get the big can of seal coat.

I've tried the spray can version and it must be my technique, but I can't get a good result from it. I think I'll experiment some more now that the weather is warming up.

One thing about flakes is you have a wider range of dewaxed options than the cans--with Zinsser it is blonde dewaxed or nothing (their other products have the natural wax). Dewaxed is not needed on every project, depending on the final top coat. But you can always use the amber (for example) then put a coat of dewaxed as a barrier.

Jeff Jewitt sells shellac flakes too.

Supply and demand. It's hard to buy 8oz of shellac - which is all a small project might need, so it's marked up accordingly.

I like Sealcoat. It's cheap enough locally ($10ish) to get fresh. Look at the dates on the bottoms of the can and you should be golden.

If I'm shellacking as a topcoat, I'll just use the Bullseye Amber or Blonde.

Sealcoat can be tinted with dye too to achieve different colors. It might be slightly more expensive over the long term, but it's one less thing to store and mix for me.

Thanks to everyone so far...

I've looked at the Rocker and Woodcraft site (both of which have stores in my area) and neither of them carry the seal coat you guys are referring to. I looked up some info on the product on the Zinsser site just to get a little more info on it.

So, do you guys use the seal coat as your top coat as well? from what I read it sounds as if the benefit to dewaxed is you can use other top coats - If I intend to use Shellac as the top coat, it sounds like I won't need to worry about waxed VS dewaxed

I was reading a method this weekend where I would start with a 1lb cut, second coat would be a 2lb cut, and then finish with a 1lb cut again. I'm thinking I just get a can of the regular shellac and cut it down for the first coat, no?

well, I've relooked at the products and I think I'm even more confuses.

Woodcraft has a can called "sealer and finish" that is clear, and a can called "shellac" which is amber, and the Zinsser site has a product called "seal coat" which is wax free.

nothing like simplicity - I appreciate your comments on all this

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Wood View Post

Any idea why Rocker sells 8oz of flakes for $18.99 and Woodcraft sells 1lb for $22.99?

The 8oz Rockler is NOT the kit, just the flakes. Woodcraft identifies it's product as dewaxed, but Rockler doesn't mention that.
    Rockler's 8 oz containers are actually 4 bags of 2oz each. Handy but you pay for it, unless you get a good 40% or 50% off coupon. The blonde and garnet are dewaxed and the orange is not.

You can get Zinsser Sealcoat at HD or LWS or Ace.
    Yes, it's dewaxed so you can use it UNDER other topcoats, BETWEEN coats, or AS a topcoat.

If u are using shellac as a topcoat, you're right, no need to worry about waxed-vs-dewaxed.

Yes, you can cut 'regular' waxed or dewaxed shellac to get a lighter cut. Use Denat Alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    You can get Zinsser Sealcoat at HD or LWS or Ace.
    Yes, it's dewaxed so you can use it UNDER other topcoats, BETWEEN coats, or AS a topcoat.

If u are using shellac as a topcoat, you're right, no need to worry about waxed-vs-dewaxed.

Yes, you can cut 'regular' waxed or dewaxed shellac to get a lighter cut. Use Denat Alcohol.
    Thanks Shawn

Ditto on Zinnser's. I've been using it to "seal" MDF and have gone through about 2 gallons of it. I'm now a shellac convert!

I did buy some amber flakes from Woodcraft, but they are still in their bag...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    Brad, I'll second Glenn's suggestion about Zinnser's Seal Coat for dewaxed shellac. Since you indicated shellac is something you want to try, a quart can of Seal Coat from a local source would let you try it for less out of pocket expense. BTW, Seal Coat is a 2lb cut in the can. You can dilute it further to get your 1lb cut if you so desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Wood View Post
    Thanks to everyone so far...

I've looked at the Rocker and Woodcraft site (both of which have stores in my area) and neither of them carry the seal coat you guys are referring to. I looked up some info on the product on the Zinsser site just to get a little more info on it.

So, do you guys use the seal coat as your top coat as well? from what I read it sounds as if the benefit to dewaxed is you can use other top coats - If I intend to use Shellac as the top coat, it sounds like I won't need to worry about waxed VS dewaxed

I was reading a method this weekend where I would start with a 1lb cut, second coat would be a 2lb cut, and then finish with a 1lb cut again. I'm thinking I just get a can of the regular shellac and cut it down for the first coat, no?

well, I've relooked at the products and I think I'm even more confuses.

Woodcraft has a can called "sealer and finish" that is clear, and a can called "shellac" which is amber, and the Zinsser site has a product called "seal coat" which is wax free.

nothing like simplicity - I appreciate your comments on all this

thank you
    they're all basically the same thing. there are two different types, de-waxed and not. the wax won't hurt if you're only using shellac, if you're using it in conjunction with other finishes, get the de-waxed. de-waxed shellac sticks to anything, it can be used over, under, or between any other type of finish i can think of.

beyond that is just a preference of color.