Thread: Any Road Runner users? Are you satisfied?

Any Road Runner users? Are you satisfied?

I had RR installed on Saturday (hidden gloat--56K modem dial up to cable modem). Things are unbelievably faster, but many of the links don't work. If I do a search, I can't get the links from the results of that search to work. I called RR national support. They said that if the internet conection was working they had satisfied their obligation. They also said the problem must be with my computer or with Internet Explorer.

I asked if RR shouldn't make sure I could use the service and was a satisfied customer. Answer was if you can get on the internet they had done their job. He did give the the IE tech support number and said something about pop-ups being blocked. I will again,try local support to see if they are any more helpful. I tried them earlier and my message was taken. I was told they would call back "in a few hours". AOL was never this bad.

Am I missing something here? If I am at fault here please tell me. Have you had similiar experiences?
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones near Indy
    II asked if RR shouldn't make sure I could use the service and was a satisfied customer. Answer was if you can get on the internet they had done their job.
    Ok...so they feel that because you can see the Internet and can get "some" places, but not others, they are off the hook? Sheesh! THEY are the ones providing Domain Name Service (DNS) which is used to point your browser to the servers you are trying to access. While it's true that there may be something misconfigured on your computer, I can't understand why they cannot help you troubleshoot that. And it's NOT necessarily IE that is at fault, either. IE is a browser...an application that runs on top of an operating system (Windows presumably) which uses Internet Protocol for networking and consequently depends upon RR for certain information, such as resolving names with numeric IP addresses which route your browser's requests for information to the proper place out on the Internet.

I smell major buck-passing here!

My ex uses RR and has been able to resolve any issues largely through their technical support with a little help from me on a local PC problem.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Smile Problem Apparently Solved

The local rep did return my call and offered a few suggestions that did not help. He then transfered me to the national support people. There I was lucky enough to get a gentleman who was much more helpful than the first man I talked to. He directed me to try a few things like disabling my firewall. No difference. He then had me delect all internet temp files, cookies and history. I also went to control panel and internet security where I entered RR as a trusted site.

Neither of use knew exactly which of these actions solved the problem. The important thing is it now works! I am, at least for the present, a happy camper!
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Hmmm. So maybe the Wildie Coyote was involved here somewhere? lol
    Seriously though, tell me about this RoadRunner. Some dialup speeder upper?
    Steve

RoadRunner is a "true" highspeed Internet access service available in some areas. I believe it's cable modem based. It's not one of those fake "high speed" marketing things, like "AOL Optimized" which are merely services that use cacheing to speed up access to popular pages, but do nothing at all for dynamic sites, such as SMC. Those are still dialup at dialup speed no matter what they say.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    RoadRunner is a "true" highspeed Internet access service available in some areas. I believe it's cable modem based. It's not one of those fake "high speed" marketing things, like "AOL Optimized" which are merely services that use cacheing to speed up access to popular pages, but do nothing at all for dynamic sites, such as SMC. Those are still dialup at dialup speed no matter what they say.
    OK. So I guess that's out for me then. All that's available here is ONE local dial up provider. I cannot even get SBC provisions here. Yes, I am really in the sticks.
    Steve

Steve, have you considered satilite? The folks from DirectTV have an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Steve, have you considered satilite? The folks from DirectTV have an offer.
    I checked into a co. in town that has satellite hookups here while back.
    Equipment cost was $900.00 up front, then $60.00 a month, 2-year contract. Way out of budget.
    We just got Dish two months ago, but will check into it to see if they have any kind of deals. Forgot about them.
    Thanks Jim.
    Steve

A note on "AOL 9.0 Optimized" - it sucks.

While out of town this last week, I used my dad's computer to check email, etc. He has dialup & AOL 9.0. I was showing one of his employees my web site, and the quality of the pictures was TERRIBLE. I spend a lot of time editing and sizing my pictures for a good tradeoff between size (read: download speed) and quality. However, AOL was compressing the pictures ("optimizing") before downloading them. One picture that I knew was in the 30K to 35K range in size, was download as just under 7K. Sheesh!! What's a guy gotta do to present himself properly? All those AOL people are going to think I'm a lousy photographer (which I may be... but that's a different discussion!)