Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First free wood, with termites - what to do?!

I normally try not to bring in "fresh" wood into my house, just for the reason of bringing in new bug infestations. Termites are very bad and costly to get rid of, as many have already stated. I always try to leave the wood in my truck, away from the house and my "good" wood pile. That way, any new bug infestations stay away from the valuable wood in my house and good wood pile. The wood rattling around in the back of the truck gets annoying, but you get used to it. Watch it for a while and see what pops out.
    Haven't seen termite trails like your picture though. Hard to tell with a large picture like that. Termites, from what I seen, tend to follow the grain. Not go across like that. Try google a termite picture.

I used to live in LA...climate similar to yours. Dry wood termites are the big problem there, and those don't look like dry wood termite tunnels. Instead, it appears to be some sort of grub, like others have said. Nonetheless, the smart thing to do is get it out of the garage.

You should cut it in half...along the pith, and coat the ends with Anchorseal. That will give you another chance to see what kind of tunneling has happened.

If it were my blank, I would (after cutting it in half), rough turn the blanks and then treat them...either with DNA, or by microwaving.