Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10/2 or 10/3

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Wow, that is rather cute I must admit!!

I still like my 240V plugs to be twist-locks...just a personal preferance.
    I like those twist locks too
    but,
    boy has the price gone up on them cost me an arm and a leg to upgrade

I was just reinsulation a wall in my shop and was adding 2 electrical lines one to be 220 and a 110 with the existing 110
    now I can have 2 220 and 2 110 it is like getting 4 circuits for the price of 3

I still like my 240V plugs to be twist-locks...just a personal preferance.
    I shy away from the twist-locks, for wall plugs anyway. I prefer the plug disconnect from the socket rather than my nose contacting the floor when I trip over the power cord.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    I shy away from the twist-locks, for wall plugs anyway. I prefer the plug disconnect from the socket rather than my nose contacting the floor when I trip over the power cord.
    I agree. I was contemplating twist locks during my electrical install and decided against them for the same reason. I am curious why one would prefer the twisties? I have no problem keeping the regular plugs in the outlets, and I'd rather have the plug pull out than the cord rip!

Thumbs up

I run mostly 12-2 wire in my shop because it's sufficient for anything up to and including 20 amps. To determine this I look at the power ratings on the equipment to dictate what I should use but for the most part all my machines have been converted to run 220 volts and 12-2 works well..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I agree. I was contemplating twist locks during my electrical install and decided against them for the same reason. I am curious why one would prefer the twisties? I have no problem keeping the regular plugs in the outlets, and I'd rather have the plug pull out than the cord rip!
    Simple reason: #10 wire is a tad bulky and heavy and the twist-locks hold things connected better. I don't have any issues with tripping so that is not a concern and although the non-twist-locks might work better in that regard, you shouldn't have trip issues to begin with IMO.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    If you're running 3-phase stuff, the twistlocks are physically smaller than the straight-bladed plugs. The 3-phase straight-bladed plugs are pretty big.

Simple reason: #10 wire is a tad bulky and heavy and the twist-locks hold things connected better. I don't have any issues with tripping so that is not a concern and although the non-twist-locks might work better in that regard, you shouldn't have trip issues to begin with IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    If you're running 3-phase stuff, the twistlocks are physically smaller than the straight-bladed plugs. The 3-phase straight-bladed plugs are pretty big.

OK, I can see that. I don't have anything three-phase, and the only 30a./10ga. unit (heater) is hard wired. Everthing else runs on 20a./12ga.
    i am wiring the new shop so there should be no tripping hazards. Just couldn't envision why I would want twist locks, especially for more $$.

I ran the 12-2 for my reg. outlets, a mix of 14/12-2 for my lights and TV outlet and 10-3 for my 240. I have 1 20amp, 1 15amp, and 1 double 20 for breakers. My shop is small so I should not have to upgrade the power at all.

But I use dryer plugs. large, cheap, and easy to find. Let alone they can handle even more power then will ever travel through them.

Marlin,

If you're using 30A dryer receptacles on the 20A circuits and reterminating your equipment with the plugs to fit, technically that's a code violation. The 20A circuit is only supposed to have 15A and/or 20A receptacles on it.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Marlin,

If you're using 30A dryer receptacles on the 20A circuits and reterminating your equipment with the plugs to fit, technically that's a code violation. The 20A circuit is only supposed to have 15A and/or 20A receptacles on it.

Rob
    Easy fix. Since he's already got 10ga wire installed and assuming wire run is within limits, pull the 20a breaker and replace with a 30a and everything should be copacetic.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    Easy fix. Since he's already got 10ga wire installed and assuming wire run is within limits, pull the 20a breaker and replace with a 30a and everything should be copacetic.
    Seems like overkill to plug something like a drill press or other 120v machine into. His shop, his choice.