Thread: dust collection help

dust collection help

Hey creekers I need some help. I have an 28x46 shop/garage attached to my house and I have an Issue with dust in the house. I now only use a shop vac but my wife has Informed me that I have to do something with the dust. I need some opinions on this and I would like to stay with a 110 unit. and also what is the micron #s I keep reading about? I have all the wood working tools In a basic shop and none are Industrial models thanks for any help

steve

At 110V, the biggest you'll be able to get is a 1.5 HP unit... which is a good machine. I'll suggest that you take a look at Bill Penz's Dust Collection site and, though extreme, you'll get more than enoug information to form your own opinion.

Myself, I have a 1.5 Canister unit, from Jet. Oh, and get one with a remote, you'll love it!

http://www.billpentz.com/Woodworking/Cyclone/index.cfm

At 110 volts you can get a 2hp. I have a Harbor Freight unit that does a good job. Their new ones are 5 micron. Micron is the measurement of the size of dust particle that the unit will trap.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97869
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 04-07-2009 at 12:11 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You can get a 110V 2HP unit but you'll need a 30amp line, 1.5HP will (should) fit on a 20amp line.

The micron rating is the "pore" size in the filter bags. The larger the number, the larger the pores, the more fine particles that are put back into the air. Wood magazine did a nice comparision of units under $400 in issue 182 including the bag versus canister. And don't forget to read through Bill's website.

I just got the Harbor Freight DC yesterday and assembled it.

The normal price is $250, they go on sale for $179, then you can use 20% off coupon on that sale price. They were on sale in stores for a long time though the sale ended April 4th. I got a rain check, and yes the rain checks work on the 20% coupons as well.

I paid $35 extra for the 2 year warranty, so my total came up to about $190 including california Tax.

It's sort of loud but not as high pitched as my 16gal rigid shop vac. It moves a lot of air though doesn't have crazy vacuum power like the shop vac when I plug the vacuum end hose with my hand. I was actually impressed with the fit and finish. The bolts arn't labeled and there's a lot of them so I used a gauge to measure the threads, diameter and length so that I could categorize them and use them per the manual.

There was minor rust on the center sheet metal divider where some paint was bubbled. It seems like they use a matte paint on the inside and I was able to wax it with a synthetic sealant to make it more slippery and hopefully prevent it from rusting any more at the spots that I saw some orange. It was only surface rust so no need for me to return it.

The suction seems overkill for operating 1 machine at a time. I ended up getting the DC accessory package from HF. $50 minus 20% = $41 or so. The kit has two long 4" hoses, blast gates, clamps, Y-adapter, and some adapters for some machines.

I have not used the DC that much but as far as value, you get a lot of CFM for your buck with the HF unit. It comes on 4 rolling casters and all four can lock. The 5 micron felt bag seems no different than the name brand ones.
    Last edited by Chris Tsutsui; 04-07-2009 at 12:58 PM.

That HF unit on sale and then try to locate a used squirrel cage blower or just get a regular old box fan and a couple filters to tape on to catch the stuff that escapes the HF and you can have a pretty decent setup for under $225 all told.

No sense to break the bank if this does the trick - which I bet it does. None , even dropping $3000, will catch 100% if the dust. Get into the mid-high 90% and the wife will love you

I have not done it yet but I was considering a blower unit from an ac to turn into an air cleaner.

I just saw a 1 1/2 ton train unit on craigs list but don't have the money. You can get used ones from AC installs pretty cheep. Something like a 1 1/2 ton blower from an AC will move a lot of air. You can make a small box with 2 or 3 20" 3 micron filters and it will keep recirculating air in your shop and should capture almost all the dust.

You are missing an opportunity - - -

Explain to your wife how dangerous dust is - have her read Bill Pentz' site. Although it contains some hyperbole, it is mostly right. Once my wife read that site I got on the road to getting my Oneida Super Gorilla, getting new wiring in the shops, etc. Regardless, you should have a 220 line in the shop and installing them is not that hard or expensive with a competent and reasonable electrician.

Moreover, given the large footprint of your shop a cyclone is kind of worth it.

Steve,

I have to agree with Thomas. I just installed a Clear Vue cyclone and love it! I also read some good advice here, "buy your second dust collector first". It saves money in the long run. As for the 220 volts, you're going to need it eventually.

????

thanks for all the input and yes I will most likely go to 220 in the shop. I have it in the box but just have not wired it yet. and who is Bill Pentz and where do I find this article.
    thanks steve

Steve,
    Anytime you need to find out such things just go to www.google.com and type in your question or key word.

This page comes up to the top of a search for "Bill Pentz".
    http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Google is your friend.

And just in case you're interested in other dust collection sites, here are a couple more:

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/
    http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm