Thread: Dust Collector Modification

Dust Collector Modification

What do you think of this idea:

I currently use a Delta 50-665 1 1/2 HP two stage barrel mounted collector. In orded to improve its efficiency I thought I would add a Phil Thein baffle to my collector, mounted below the existing barrel cover plate and then add a filter to replace the bag that currently is the fine collector.

An alternative would be to build a seperate pre-collector of the Phil Thein design on a 30 gallon drum. Then the ducting would go to the blower unit and exhaust through a filter.

Bill,

I have never seen one of those in person, but the filtration capacity of the stock bag is less than reassuring... (30 microns from what I can determine).

I would contact the folks at Wynn Environmental to see if they can help you fit that thing with one of their cartridge filters. You may need to build an adapter donut of some sort for it...

Adding a Thien baffle is DEFINATELY a good step forward for that...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I would build a separate container with the Phil Thein Bafffle. This way, you don't have to lift the weight of the DC unit every time the barrel needs emptying. When running either of my planers, or my jointer, I use my Phil Thein Baffle on a 30 gallon can ahead of my cyclone. My cyclone is located in rear corner of shop, but planer / jointer are at the very front. This saves having to haul drum from back, and empty into can to go to the dump. Google Phil Thein, and look at my post "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle" over at NC Woodworker.

Bill,

I have a Delta 50-181 two stage dust collector, the same as your 50-665 except that it is 2 hp instead. I have been planning to do the same as you are thinking.

However, as Bruce has pointed out this thing is heavy enough without having the Phil Thein seperator attached to it as well. My solution, (which I have yet to build), is to get a second 55 gallon drum and cut a ring off of it about 12 inches tall, and then attach this ring to a bracket that will be fixed to the wall. Then the top of the dust collector, motor and impeller, can sit on top of this "shortened" 55 gallon drum and the Thein seperator can be placed into the bottom of it. Then I plan to place the full sized 55 gallon drum below this setup with a some sort of quick release so that I can drop the barrel down for emptying.

What I may do to create the seal between the upper and lower drum is to build a wooded ring on the outside of the bottom of the shortened barrel and also on the top of the lower barrel that I can then use either C-Clamps or bolts with threaded knobs that will allow me to seperate the two.

I had to build a wooden ring like this to use my collector on top of my current 55 gallon barrel. The lid of my collector is 24 inches in diameter, but a 55 gallon barrel is only 22 1/2 inches. So to get an air tight seal between the lid and the barrel I built this ring. It would be easy to build additional rings for use as a flange between the upper short drum and the standard sized lower drum.

I would also use a cartridge filter with my system as well. I was planning to place my collector on the garage side of the wall between my shop and garage and pass the exhaust from the collector back through the wall so that the filter is inside my shop and the collector outside of it. I would continue to use my Long Ranger remote switch to start and stop the collector.

I will be interested in your efforts and if I get mine built I will post my results as well. Now, if only I knew how to weld.....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chilenski View Post
    However, as Bruce has pointed out this thing is heavy enough without having the Phil Thein seperator attached to it as well.
    I know some guys use a block and tackle to lift their lids off these units.

"I know some guys use a block and tackle to lift their lids off these units."

True. However dropping out the bottom barrel would be easier than disconnecting the hoses or trying to lift the lid with the hoses attached.

Thanks,
    Jim