Thread: Laser Checkering on Planes

Laser Checkering on Planes

Hi Laser folks

I usually hang out over in the hand tool section of the creek. I like hand tool traditional woodworking. However, I also do some laser engraving (Universal 4.6 60 watt, rotary). In an effort to combine the two, I wanted to make some woodworking planes using laser checkering. Here are the first two. I would be interested in what you think

George
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Beck View Post
    I would be interested in what you think
    I think you should start spending some more time in this forum... I really like the first pic (it's the pattern, I suppose).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I with Dan....You really need to stop in over here more often. Those are awesome planes.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Nice work and a practical idea.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by George Beck View Post
    Hi Laser folks

I usually hang out over in the hand tool section of the creek. I like hand tool traditional woodworking. However, I also do some laser engraving (Universal 4.6 60 watt, rotary). In an effort to combine the two, I wanted to make some woodworking planes using laser checkering. Here are the first two. I would be interested in what you think

George
    Nice work!!
    That first one is actually a weave pattern. Very nicely executed but I would think that the 2nd one might have a better grip area.

Don't be a stranger and ...
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Hi George,

Those are really nice mate. I really like the basket weave.

Where did you find the patterns that you used?

Regards

Dave.
    LaserScript 9060 SE 60W - LaserCut 5.1,
    PhotoImpact X3, CorelDraw 12, PhotoGrav, Adobe CS3

Beautiful

I like my fishscale stuff but that basket weave is outstanding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Nice job George, laser is ideal for that work for sure.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thank you all for taking a look. It is always a bit scary to show one's work especially in a place of such expertise as this forum. ( I have often looked at some pictures here and said to myself "OK I'm a hack, back to nailing birdhouses!"). Thank you also for the invitation. I will be spending more time here.

Angus- I have followed your journey here and over at camheads. (just wait till I can start apply a camaster to this stuff!)

Here is a little bit of how I came to be here. I am recently retired or perhaps I should say I was retired after heading a sale organization for a fortune 500 company for nearly 30 years. My original concept for the laser and engraving technology was a little side business to fund the shop. I have made engraved crystal, awards, dog tags etc. But recently I have begun a quest to use these tools as additional woodworking tools as well. The design possibilities really intrigue me. These little tools were a breakthrough and new method for me. These planes were designed in Corel draw and the patterns were created with postscript fill. I took a class on Corel as in November I did not know how to turn the damn thing on let alone use it. But the possibilities! I have thought of a crouching dragon with fishscale for checkering. Right now I am working on a traditional table with tapered legs except one leg has a grape vine winding around the four sides. This is going to be an exciting journey and I am very happy to have some folks to share it with. Thank you very much.

George

George

Glad you mentioned the post script fill tool in Corel. It is an awesome tool.

If you take the patterns, change the line and vary the color you can begin to achieve some 3d effects. This is a repetitive process.

Saving your file to a PDF then opening it again in Corel allows you to modify colors which can't otherwise be done. (can't explain that)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Mike! Is there a way to create your own postscript fill patterns? I can't figure out how to do that.

George

George

Not that I'm aware of but there are many options within the tool.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks for the heads up about the PostScript fill George. I haven't had Corel very long and thats something that will com in very handy.

Many thanks

Dave.
    LaserScript 9060 SE 60W - LaserCut 5.1,
    PhotoImpact X3, CorelDraw 12, PhotoGrav, Adobe CS3

I'd suggest everyone play around with all the fills. Pretty neat stuff there. I use it to show the customers what their plaques will (should) look like.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Basket weave file

If someone needs a basket weave pattern, PM with an email address and I will send you the two I have. The first is just like the one on the plane picture, the second is more of a 3d weave using shading at the weave. I just had to practice once I saw the picture in this thread. Maybe I can save someone some time. Just trying to pay it forward...
    Last edited by Steven Wallace; 04-10-2009 at 5:08 PM. Reason: grammar check
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0