Thread: Latest project

Latest project

I haven't posted in a while, but have been busy. I'll be changing the order of my projects as my wife has just informed me that our marriage isn't working out (which I knew to be true already), so I'll be making more furniture. The upside is - I no longer have to please anyone but myself when it comes to the style I build or wood I use.

Anyway, here's the tambour clock I started about 5 weeks ago. Hadn't hat time to work on it often, but it came together very nicely. 'twas a paid job, for a co-worker, wanting an anniversary present. It has an electronic chiming clock with two chimes and a 'record your own' mode, that actually works pretty nicely. with the volume set high and the back door closed, you'd swear it was real chimes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick Nailon; 04-08-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Forgot pictures

Really nice work, Patrick. How did you do the veneer on the top for the grain?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Very nice, Patrick.

Sarge..

Nice

Nice work on the clock. Keep posting your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Really nice work, Patrick. How did you do the veneer on the top for the grain?
    I purchased a 6" X 36" walnut veneer from Rockler. BTW - I've ordered veneer from Rockler in the past - always the same size - and always received it trashed. Split in multiple places, this one had a huge hole punched in it from the glue bottle in the same package. Rockler immediately sent a new piece - shipped flat and two day express - but it irked me that I've not yet received whole veneer from them on the first try.

This was my first time doing veneer with contact cement and a roller. Boy did that go on smoothly. Funny thing about following the directions in a magazine, the guys writing it actually know what they're doing!

I did vary the design a bit - I hadn't a single long piece of walnut for the base, but I did have a piece of Walnut plywood (from which the front and back are made, by the way), so I edge-glued some 3/4" x 3/4" walnut strips mitered all the way around. The result was a much more beautiful base, with mitered corners and the roman ogee routing all the way around on edge grain, NOT end grain.

Nice clock, and particularly a good job making the materials work out! On the other topic, I hope the marriage situation improves - hate to see anyone go through that.