Thread: Piercings??

Piercings??

I have seen some the the piercings and wondered what you guys are using successfully. Maybe a Dremel... Also what type of bit? Any other tips would be great.

Thanks
    Bill

I use a Dremel with a small pointed burr and a small cylindrical burr. It does work, but it isn't the fastest thing out there. But i'm no expert on piercing by any means. Be sure to get your thickness down too (like 1/16" or less), or you will be working on it forever. Using a small drill to drill starter holes speeds things up a lot.

Higher speed is better

I know what to do but have not jumped in with both feet yet! You need a pencil type handpiece that is easily held and manipulated to make the holes. Some of them range from 45,000 rpm up to 60,000 rpm and higher. They are air turbine types that use a 1/8"-1/16" collets to hold the small burrs. The speed creates less torque and more control of the cuts. There are some inexpensive ones on e-bay for about $30 or less and the high class dental type tools can go for $100's of dollars. So do some checking and find one that suits your needs and wallet! Then let me know which one you bought and how it performs, I may as well get everyone else to do the research right? Just kidding I know what I want just not sure of the price yet!

My 1.5cents

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought we were going to see some nasty pics of peoples ears, belly buttons and tongues!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Turners who are doing serious piercing are using very high speed dental tools. 350,000 RPM. They are a bit pricey. $400 and up. They run on compressed air so a shop compressor is a must.

The bits used are dental drills. Mostly carbide, some diamond. The one that I use most is smaller in dia. than a pin.

There are some used pens being sold on ebay.

Tools like the Dremel can be used but won't have the speed and control that a pen type high speed tool will for fine work.

Turnings must be about 1/16th inch walls for best results.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 04-10-2009 at 9:20 PM.

Thanks guys, I'll check on bay. I wasn't sure what rpm was needed, type etc.
    Sorry to disappoint Jim I did smash my toe if you want to see that

Bill