Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HF Dust collector

HF Dust collector

Any one using the HF 97869 DC ? I picked one up for $150. and looking for opinions before I crack open the box. I want to add the Wynn filter to it. Thanks Pat

Great product (particularily for the $).

If you can vent outside, you might look into getting a cyclone body off of Ebay, then mounting the DC on top. Works great for me!

I just assembled mine a couple days ago and am loving it.

The small short bolts with round heads are to be used with the casters. Do this first.

I don't know if it's just me, but I like to give painted and metal components a good synthetic automotive wax.

This will protect the paint, reduces friction, and makes it easier to clean and dust in the future.

I use the HF DC as is with no modifications because it now has the 5 micron bag, and so far it has performed awsome when I hook it to my table saw and band saw. I work in my shop with the DC near the garage door and I just open my garage door all the way for daylight and ventilation.

I ended up with the HF DC accessories. I need a couple 4" to 2.5" adapters for some of my tools though.

Oh and one thing I should mention is there are tiny metal clips riveted to the side of the center bag support. These will bend if you bend them out too far. I suspect these could be used to assist installing the lower plastic bag. If you bend them out, then you can't use them for that purpose anymore.

The rubber gasket that goes between the blower and the black plastic adapter that goes to the hose leaks a little fine dust on mine. I would use some stay flexible sealant there during assembly. Some silicone caulk or RTV sealant should work.

Blog Entries
    I have it too. I upgraded it to the Wynn filter, works great

Get rid of it! It is chineese crap! It works great! It is way cheaper than the other brands, but it is made in china and that must mean that it is no good even though no one has had a problem with them and they do their job for years and years and continue to work. Ignore all the good, it is Chineese made!

Sorry, I was just trying to beat all the HF haters into the thread...

I've had one for about 6 months. I like it.

I sucked up a 6 inch carriage bolt accidentally with it . It put some major dents in the impeller housing before I could shut it down, but it still worked well after that.

I would try to get the 5 micron down to 1 micron. There are filters out there that will fit and are 1 micron, otherwise the very small dust is put back into the workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat O'malley View Post
    Any one using the HF 97869 DC ? I picked one up for $150. and looking for opinions before I crack open the box. I want to add the Wynn filter to it. Thanks Pat
    How did you get it for $150? I checked my local (Atlanta) HF a few weeks ago and they were out of stock. The price was $250 - 20% coupon = $199. Is it on sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Erech Myers View Post
    How did you get it for $150? I checked my local (Atlanta) HF a few weeks ago and they were out of stock. The price was $250 - 20% coupon = $199. Is it on sale?
    It's on sale locally for $179.00 and I had a 15% off coupon. Thanks for all the replies, I've done my research on DCs and really didn't want to spend over $300 but needed some reassurance. Thanks again. Pat

I don't have one, but one of my close friends has it for his shop. He paid less for it than I did for my 1 HP Jet and he got better bags and better dust pick-up. Many think all HF stuff isn't worth anything, but you have a good option there for the dollar. If I didn't have my little Jet already, I would buy one for that kind of deal.

My Jet is made in Taiwan, not China. My Delta drill press is made in China. A lot of our brand names are made over there these days....
    Last edited by Kev Godwin; 04-09-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Hows the noise on this machine? I've heard HF DC's are screamers.

I worked last evening in my friend's shop and it isn't any louder than my 1 HP Jet. It has an induction motor (quiet), not one of those universal motors that howl a loud and high pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    I use the HF DC as is with no modifications because it now has the 5 micron bag, and so far it has performed awsome when I hook it to my table saw and band saw.
    With the 5 micron bag, it makes a dandy fine dust pump. Not something I'd want to share my breathing space with. I'll second the recommendation to get a 1 micron or 0.5 micron filter or bag. With a better filter, the HF DC is a good performer. I've known a few people, including me, who have had to replace the power switch, but that's nothing that can't be fixed.

It's a fine DC unit. I've been using mine for more than a year now. It's as good as I need or want. I installed a 50 gallon barrel separator which means that I rarely have to empty the bag. You'll enjoy this DC in your shop.

If you didn't get one already, I'd suggest picking up the remote control unit from HF to use with your DC. It's very handy!
    Last edited by Stephen Edwards; 04-10-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: add to post
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I have one and am very happy with it. Bang for the buck it's hard to beat.